Tools

243 win m 70 convert to?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted
rifle is now a push feed synthetic win m 70 243

Question:
if you hated 243 what would you barrel this rifle into.

Choices:
338 federal
308 win
leave it as 243
I like 260 so much i am sending you a free bbl.
jesus shoots 7-08 and so should you
any totaly pointless wildcat like _____.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I have a Model 70 in a 243, that sucks as a shooter... however it is now going thru life to become a switch barrel rifle....

I put a Boyd's Thumbhole stock on it...

I also have a Featherweight in 223, that I borrowed the bolt out of that rifle.. and ordered a 26 inch heavy magnum contoured barrel from ER Shaw last year.. its first switch barrel is a 223 barrel...

here is how it turned out...

and in the field...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Well you know I'm a bubble off and always against the obvious grain so I voted for a pointless wildcat if you are sure you are sick of the .243.
How about a 9.3x08 or better a 9.3x.284 or (stay with me I have an active mind).
Maybe non wildcats like a 6.5 Swede which is wholely superior to the .260 and speaking of holy if jesus shoots a 7-08 then by the grace of god you should one or two up him with a .284 Win.
To hell with a .308, unless you need and don't have one to burn up the cheap ammo get a .358 Win instead or a 35-.284 or a 6.5-.284 or a 30-.284 or a poor mans 325 short mag the 325-.284
wait there's more I'm full of it.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
".400 Pig Thumper" when Snellstrom gets his .400 Whelen put together you guys could do another pig hunt and compare the results. I don't know how fast you could lauch a 300-400 grain SP .411 bullet out of a necked up .308, I'm not a wildcatter by any means. I just sure it would "thump" TX wild pigs quite well.
jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
.358 Win. 225 gr bullets over a max load of W-748 and you are good to go! I get over 2500 fps with my 21-inch barrel and a partition.

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
how about a strait case 458 1.75 in on the belted mag win case dancing

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Now yer talkin'.
Or just a big brother to your .223/.338 that headspaces on the case mouth with no belt.
What could you blow a .308 case out to?
Would it be .458 or could you only go as high as .423 I'd have to look.
I'm still thinking 9.3-08 or 9.3-.284.
What the hell get a .257 Roberts.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
im thinking belted mag case would be a lot simpler. and more horsepower

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the small end, 22-250 AI or 6-284.
On the bigger end, 338 Federal or 358 Win.
I would more than likely make a 358 Win.
Thanks, Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
oh well took it to the smith to look at a the take off pile o barrels I have stashed there and some guy with a kid wanted that rifle bad for a birthday gift for the kid to take on the opener nov 3 so I gave it to his kid and probably saved myself 1000 bucks in the process all in all a good end for this little rifle. I realy did not need it and that litle guy sure did so happy ending . Big Grin

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
25 Souper.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
my .243 m70 is the most neglected m70 i have...toe of the stock broken off, old weaver 2x7 wideview on it, scratches all over... but still shoots 100 gr factory stuff into 1" at 100yds... always wonder what i could really do with it if i tried...thought about using it as a donor, but can't bring myself to do it... if i ever did, i'd find a small face bolt and build a .22 hornet...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only reason a fellow would buy a .243 is to rebarrel it to a 7-08 or .260 or he needed another tomato stake.

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stillbeeman:
Only reason a fellow would buy a .243 is to rebarrel it to a 7-08 or .260 or he needed another tomato stake.

hmm really all those deer that I've killed with mine sure have tasted good. Especially cooked on the grill.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a new sporter weight 22-250 M70 push feed barrel if you are lookign to go smaller.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I hated 243 I'd take shooting lessons stir

Seriously I'm interested why - I used to have an irrational hatred of it until I worked with it for a while - now it's my all time favourite.

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894mk2:
If I hated 243 I'd take shooting lessons.

dancing

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CRUSHER:
oh well took it to the smith to look at a the take off pile o barrels I have stashed there and some guy with a kid wanted that rifle bad for a birthday gift for the kid to take on the opener nov 3 so I gave it to his kid and probably saved myself 1000 bucks in the process all in all a good end for this little rifle. I realy did not need it and that litle guy sure did so happy ending . Big Grin

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT