New
Find
Notify
Tools

25-35? Atkinson?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Atkinson, seems like I recall that you used and liked the 25-35 as a deer cartridge. I am trying to figure out what cartridge I want in a falling block single shot and the 25-35 may be in the running. The other choices are 6.5/30-30, 6.5 Waters, or something similar.

What were some of your favorite loads/velocities with the 25-35? Thanks. Plateau Hunter

Posts: 171 | Location: Cannon Co., TN | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Won't quote loads but my Sav 99 in 25-35 really likes 100gn Sierra's, which of course are a good medium weight game bullet. Depending on barrel length & action strength I would think velocities around 24-2700fps would be sufficent for the job.

Posts: 302 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTT- The 25/35 must really be an orphan!! Plateau Hunter

Posts: 171 | Location: Cannon Co., TN | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Plateau Hunter,
Reacon we're practically neighbors as I live in
the Bradyville area.
The 25/35 Win. and the .25 Rem. are both good small and medium game cartridges. They are pleasant to shoot. They are easy to load for,and can be very accurate in a good bolt or singleshot rifle.
Two reasons they died were ,the rifles they were chambered in were not accurate enough for small game and the magnum craze.

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While the 6,5x52 R has lost favour in Europe, the 5,6x52 R has enjoyed more and more increasoing popularity as a milder roe deer cartridge, and the new 6x52 R Bretschneider follows its steps closely.

Regards,
Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow WC-it is a small world. I live in the Short Mountain area. Do you do any gunsmithing work? Plateau Hunter

one of us
posted Hide Post
Plateau Hunter,
I still do a bit of gunsmithing,but not as much as in past years.I'm on disability for the past few months,probably permanently,as I've been fighting this problem for the past 5 years.
I have 35 years experience in machine and tool and die shops,I still have privileges in a couple of shops in the area.Most of the shops I worked in
I was able to use their facilities to do work for myself.
Primarily,I'm doing design and prototype work on wildcats now.
I am using what I call the short chambering method.I'm working with chambers derived from the standard 30-06 and its deriveties.I am using the .35 Rem. and .303 British cases.When the chamber is shortened to fit those cases,it produces a case shaped like the front 1.625" of the 30-06 case.It has a case capacity of 34.1 grs.
of water.
It is called the CHEAPSKATE series of cartridges,
because the first one I did ,I used a 30-06 takeoff barrel and shortened the chamber,fhen fit the barrel to a frame.There was no expense of reamer rental or turning the barrel.Dies were made by grinding the base ofstandard 30-06 dies.
The only out of pocket expenses was 17 dollars for a set of used RCBS dies as I done all of the work myself.
When I get all my data developed for it ,it will out perform the 7.62X39 and the .30 HERRETT
in a bolt or singleshot rifle.With the freebore of the 30-06 and a twist of 1-10,it will handle
bullets up to 220 grs,although 150 gr.is as heavy as I have used so far.
I am presently working on the 25-06 shortened to the same dimensions.I reckon,you could call it
a 25/34.
I have a long way to go with the series as the
.22-06,6MM-06,25-06,6.5-06,.270 Win.,.280 Rem.,
30-06,8mm-06,.338-06,and .35 Whelen are all possible in this series.
I'm not aquainted with many people from the Short Mountain area as I have lived in Cannon Co. only 11 years.One of the librarians at the Woodbury Library is living at Short Mountian,so I get some of the gossip from the area occasionally.
Take care,
WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote