Find
Notify
Tools

What do I have
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted
I ran across a Savage for a pretty decent price so I figured I'd give it a try, never owned one before.

Barrel is marked as a 12. It has a 26 .223 fluted heavy stainless barrel. It has a blued receiver.. Black stock. Non accutrigger. Geusstimate weight at 10-11. Blind box magazine.

Trigger feels ok but I will find out on the range.

Is this something that someone has put together?

Posts: 964 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one about 8 years ago with a non fluted cm barrel. Is your barrel stamped with the uasual Savage markings other than 12? If not it was probably rebarreled. Mine was ugly but a GREAT shooter. It never would feed from the mag.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornSounds like my 12bvss prior to accutrigger. Stock ? perhaps painted Confused roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
Black molded stock. I think it's a 12BVSS pre-accutrigger too. Barrel is just marked 12. I wonder if it didn't start out with a blued non-fluted barrel and it got changed at some point though.

It looks and feels like it could be a shooter. It's a LH gun which makes me no never mind since if it's a shooter it will be essentially a single shot anyway, and if it isn't it's going away. I got it really cheap so I don't have to worry about making it work either.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it's a FVSS. I believe the BVSS has a laminated stock.

Willie B

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: 27 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It seems you do in fact are looking at the FVSS with the so called Tupperware stock. It`s not necessarily a bad thing, but with that particular stock, you`ll need to know that the forearm is somewhat flexible, especially when used with a bipod. Shooting from a pedestal front rest, I`d suggest it be placed quite a bit forward...like just in front of the magazine area, so as to not have the somewhat flimsy forend effect your downrange results on paper.

I know what you`re thinking,...did he fire six shots, or only five?

Posts: 116 | Location: Finger Lakes, New York, | Registered: 10 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If its an FVSS or a BVSS, the receiver should be stainless as well as the barrel. SS is for stainless steel after all. The FV was the tupperware stock version and was offered with a blued barrel, no flutes, and a blued receiver. FVSS has the tupperware stock and stainless barrel and receiver. BVSS denotes the laminated wood stock with a stainless barrel and stainless action. I'm of the opinion that its been re-barreled; is the stamping in the correct spot or does it look off a bit? Is the recoil lug stainless or blued?

Of course, Savage is noted for putting out some pretty specific combos for distributors so who really knows.

**STAY ALERT! The world is running out of lerts; we can't afford to lose anymore!**

Posts: 223 | Location: New England | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
I pulled the stock, blued lug and it has pillars.

Barrel is stamped right. Looks to be a factory stamped barrel. Not enough wear on the rest of it to have been shot enough times to wear out a barrel, but I am inclined to go with it having been rebarreled. Really awful job with the mounts. Someone slapped a scope on this thing and had no idea what they were about. Tonight I will get it remounted properly and I'll shoot it over the weekend.

one of us
posted Hide Post
With a blued lug, I'd lean toward a re-barrel for sure. Sometimes the stampings on the replacement barrel line up correctly just over the stock line and other times they're not visible at all.

As I'm sure you know, the rebarrel operation is pretty simple on the Savage, so if the previous owner wasn't happy with the way it was shooting, take off barrels are plentiful, he may have just changed out the tubes due to shooting poorly rather than being shot out.

**STAY ALERT! The world is running out of lerts; we can't afford to lose anymore!**

Posts: 223 | Location: New England | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
I'mn ready to accept it as a rebarrel and move on. I got the scope mounted decently and bore sighted. I will load up a batch of Varmint Grenades and see how it shoots this weekend. The barrel looks good, the trigger is decent, the scope is a cheapy but ought to tell me if the rifle is decent.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a model 12 w/black stock and factory bull barrel in 22-250. Pre accu trigger and never new what mod. 12 it was. But I do now this gun is a tack driver. And its blued.

Posts: 87 | Location: lehigh co. pa. | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
All of the 12s I have seen have round front and back rings on the receiver. This one is flat in the back like a 10. I think it might well be a 12 barrel on a 10.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The round rear is simply a newer model year than the old flat backs. I have a model 12 (short action) and a 112 (long action) and both are flat backs. And the difference between a 10 and a 12 was the options available, like barrel lengths, contours, stock options, etc. Actions were the same to the best of my knowledge.

The switch to the round receivers was made about the same time the Stevens was re-introduced. Again, they are basically the same gun, but different finishes, options, etc.