THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    What bullet for a 264 Winchester Magnum?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What bullet for a 264 Winchester Magnum?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I see the Hornady .264" 140 gr A Max has the highest BC .585!

I need to buy more bullets for it. It shot two 140 gr Match Kings into one hole at 100 yds today.

The rifle is an old M70 Westerner with a 3-9 Conquest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What bullet ? For what purpose ?

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lots of good ones, depends on what you gonna do.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it shoots match kings that well I'd try some Game kings and see how they shoot. They always worked well for me on deer.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I need to buy more bullets for it. It shot two 140 gr Match Kings into one hole at 100 yds today.

Ditto with Nosler 140 grain Accubond. They will sure down a white-tailed deer, too!!!!

I really want to try the new Hornady's.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .264 Win Mag and 125 grain Partitions are a match made in heaven!

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I've tried them all. I use 120gr. Barnes TTSX.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I run two 264's, a old win 70 that shoots the 125 partitions better than anything else. Also the 130 TSX shoots good in it but accuracy wise the partitions are a little bit better. both perform good on game. The other winchester is a featherweight and Im using the Aussie Copper Projectiles in 120. These are performing well. Cheers Mick

Posts: 104 | Registered: 15 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30 Caliber Mag Fan:
quote:

Ditto with Nosler 140 grain Accubond. They will sure down a white-tailed deer, too!!!!

Not the same caliber, but I tried both 140gr Accubonds & 139gr Hornady Interbonds in my 280 that was loaded to 3150 fps Mv.

The Accubonds had a slight edge in accuracy, but the Interbonds were far superior in terminal ballistics.

Here is a 139gr .284 Interbond that passed through a 200# Whitetail diagonally after impacting the scapula at an angle from about 25 yds. It was lodged under the skin on the off side hind leg.

Accubonds shed too much of the mushroom & left large entry wounds but small exit wounds leaving poor blood trails. The deer usually ran a short distance on broadside lung hits.

With the Interbonds they were DRT.

Nosler's theory is that a large mushroom impedes penetration. Seems like the large mushroom of the Interbond at 86% weight retention still had plenty of penetration.

I would expect similar results in .264 bullets of the same type.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd go Barnes 127 LRX (TTSX)

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lapua Scenars

Posts: 1168 | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
125gr Nosler Partition, been using it for years with excellent results.

Birmingham, Al

one of us
posted Hide Post
My 264 loves 125 Partitions, too!

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildcat junkie:
quote:
Originally posted by 30 Caliber Mag Fan:
quote:

Not the same caliber, but I tried both 140gr Accubonds & 139gr Hornady Interbonds in my 280 that was loaded to 3150 fps Mv.

The Accubonds had a slight edge in accuracy, but the Interbonds were far superior in terminal ballistics.

Here is a 139gr .284 Interbond that passed through a 200# Whitetail diagonally after impacting the scapula at an angle from about 25 yds. It was lodged under the skin on the off side hind leg.

Accubonds shed too much of the mushroom & left large entry wounds but small exit wounds leaving poor blood trails. The deer usually ran a short distance on broadside lung hits.

With the Interbonds they were DRT.

Nosler's theory is that a large mushroom impedes penetration. Seems like the large mushroom of the Interbond at 86% weight retention still had plenty of penetration.

I would expect similar results in .264 bullets of the same type.

To be fair, aren't you comparing apples and oranges with the biggest variable being point of impact?

What I am hearining is that you are comparing one traversing body shot versus multiple thorasic lung shots?

Don't get me wrong, I think Hornady's are great bullets and I cannot wait to try the new ones.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote