Find
Notify
Tools

6,5x55 and RL-22 ??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
Is the Rl22 a good powder for the 6,5x55 with 140 or 160 grainers ??

Thanks
L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes. Very close to MRP which is very good in the 6,5x55

Posts: 91 | Location: Norway | Registered: 03 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
I don,t know about the 6.5x55 , but I was amazed that 49 gr of RL22 pushed a 75 gr Barnes solid 3400 fps with about 8 fps variation shot to shot .... I was looking for a dense ,slow load .

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, its my powder of choice for the 6.5 x 55.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
RL22 has been a favorite for the 6.5x55 for a very long time. Whether you load for a classic Mauser or a modern rifle RL22 is one of the go to powders. The Swedish round likes powders with a slow to medium burn rate. For the heavy 140 and 160 grainers you want to tend even more to the slow end of the powder spectrum. RL22 is right in the middle of the range that you want. Good luck with dialing in a load for your rifle.

Mort

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both Alliant RL22 - Norma MRP & Rhino RP22 are made by Bofors from the same recipe

You will find some load data here for MRP http://www.norma.cc/sortimentladd.asp?Kaliber=6,5x55 Swedish Mauser&Lang=2

Thanks Bjarne

Posts: 185 | Location: Randers - Denmark | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
It is my go-to powder for 140s in the Swede -- and I haven't needed to use anything else for years as it has worked incredibly well in numerous rifles.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9411 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Their are few powders that won't shoot accurately in the 6.5 x 55...I am not a fan of real slow powders in the Swede..

but that has nothing to do with accuracy etc..

I follow the 'less powder, less recoil and less throat erosion' school of thought..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slow burning powders are considered "good medicine" in the 6,5x55 norwegian.

49 grains of Norma MRP will give about 2750 fps with a 140 grains Nosler partition, or 2950 with a 120 grains Barnes X.

If you are shooting a swedish mauser you should use less powder...

Posts: 91 | Location: Norway | Registered: 03 March 2005Reply With Quote