Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

243 Speer 105RN
 Login/Join

posted
I have come into a small quantity of these bullets for my 243.
Has anyone had any experience with these bullets.
Will work up a load if your replies are positive.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Blooper

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
EekerInteresting you posted this just now. On a 25-06 thread now going I indicated wounding some Elk as a young man with a 6mmx.270 IMP. using the wrong or unintended bullet. The bullet in question was the Speer 105 RN. At the velocities that rifle was reaching I think that bullet would have come apart on a ground squirrel. Eekerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bartsche,

Just courious. Why did you choose a 105gr RN bullet in a 6mm-270IMP?

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bloop;

that bullet is out of production, but a charge of between 38 to 43 grains of H 414 will make a very accurate load...

Work up in your rifle... I have one that will take up to 44 grains of H 414 with no problems ( Model 70) and another that only likes it up to like 41 grains or so ( Ruger 77 Mk 2)...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Fischer:
bartsche,

Just courious. Why did you choose a 105gr RN bullet in a 6mm-270IMP?

Don, this goes back to about 1967 when I had five kids to feed on Colorado wages. I think someone gave them to me. It certainly wasn't a designed scenario. Frownerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If memory serves, those bullets were intended for the .244 Rem. Those rifles were handicapped by too slow a twist to reliably stabilize 100 grain spitzers, but many of the owners wanted a deer bullet for their varmint rifles. The shorter RN bullets would stabilize and turned the .244 into a passable deer rifle.

Remington long since increased the twist rate and changed the name to 6mm Rem so those bullets are now a solution to which there is no problem.

It is a good citizen's duty to love the country and hate the gubmint.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leftoverdj:
If memory serves, those bullets were intended for the .244 Rem. Those rifles were handicapped by too slow a twist to reliably stabilize 100 grain spitzers, but many of the owners wanted a deer bullet for their varmint rifles. The shorter RN bullets would stabilize and turned the .244 into a passable deer rifle..

Good memory! thumbroger