Find
Notify
Tools

22K HORNET
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
FOLKS,
I just got a 20" SS barrel for my Contender, custom made by Bullberry in caliber 22K HORNET.
I've never shot / loaded for the 22K & was wondering if anyone still uses it. What are your primary uses -turkey-varmits-small game-target ?
Do you find it accurate & user/reloader friendly ? Are H4227-AA1680-296 very good with 35gr bullets?
Thank you in advance for your time & help.
SOUP

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lil'Gun is the only powder for Hornets! Be sure to use a Small Pistol Primer.
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have also found 2400 to be very accurate using the Nosler 45gr hornet bullets.

HL

Posts: 265 | Location: Bulverde, Texas | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't had occasion to try Lil Gun, but it's advocates claim it makes your hornet shoot like a .222. Well, I already have a .222 -- what I want from my K-Hornet is good Hornet performance.

Like HL, I've found 2400 to be excellent, and 4227 as well. These are the two classic Hornet powders, and they can be bumped up in weight proportionally for the K-Hornet to give you another hundred or so fps and excellent accuracy, cleanliness, and economy.

This is not to knock Lil Gun, it may be a fine powder. But using it to seek performance beyond the typical Hornet level seems to miss the point of shooting a Hornet. 2700 or 2800 fps with a 45 grain bullet is just what I want from mine.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Kimber in 22 K Hornet. It is most accurate with H4227 and the 40 Grain V-max. It also shoots well with the 40 grain BT or Sierra 45 grain. It does not like 2400 at all. I can get it to shoot pretty good with Lil Gun but it is very sensitive to the slightest changes with this powder. Bottom line you may have to try different powders and bullets to find what your gun likes. Some of them will not shoot the longer bullets like the vmax so try the Sierra Hornet bullets as well. The federal gold match primer has worked best for me.

Posts: 251 | Location: Newport, WA | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
14.0 gr Lilgun with the 35 gr V-max in the K. Sweet load that just plain works for me....way too explosive for fur keepers. Shoots 1.5 MOA in my K.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me, Lilgun is the only powder I'll use for my Hornet (not 'K'). I first tried it when I saw the pressures were substantially less than other powders, and the velocity was greater. A very nice surprise was the accuracy improved a lot.

From a 20" barrel, 13.0gr Lilgun under a Barnes 45gr XLC get me about 2,950fps and MOA accuracy.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I ever find anything that equals the performance of the now long-gone Data 2200 powder from Accurate Arms, I will be a VERY happy guy. I could take 10 grains of that stuff and clover-leaf three 55-grain Winchester PSPs at 100 yards. Out of an NEF!!!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe Young
posted Hide Post
Apples and oranges, but don't pass up AA1680 powder behind a 40 gr Nosler BT. My M70 Winchester K hornet loves them as much as I have loved it for the past 45 years. I am talking a rifle with a .223 dia barrel and a 1:16 twist, each one has it's own preference and sometimes it takes a few years to sort them out. After all, how else could you have more enjoyment (and frustration) in your prime time? Good luck, let us know how you come out.

Posts: 107 | Location: Lake City, FL | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In a past life I used 2400, AA1680, IMR4227 for Hornets and the "K". Then I used Li'l Gun one day...and scratched the .222 Rem off of my list of guns to have. I hear different results from different folks...some finding Nirvana with light bullets at blistering speeds etc. In my case I found the 40 gr. VMAX and BT so fast it made me twitchy...way up into the 3000 fps range. Unfortunately the velocities were erratic, ES's in the 150-175 fps range, and accuracy equally so. I then tried the Hornady Hornet bullet, and apparently the extra weight helped stabilize that problem. Shoots in the 7's and 3200ish fps with 12.7 grains of Li'l Gun out of a 26" barrel. I have no idea why.

A tech rep at Hodgdon told me that I could stuff the case full of Li'l Gun and not hurt anything...I have to disagree. 3400 fps with a 40 grain bullet at 13.3 Grains was too Cosmic for me, and IIRC the case will hold about 14.5 Grains with a bullet seated. I ain't going there...

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DD: one possible solution to the velocity swings on LiLGun is to use the Lee crimp die.
How much is a matter of trial and error.
As usual, it may or may not not help overall 100 yd accuracy, but at some distance a more uniform speed will keep them Hornet pills closer together.
AA1680 has also produced wide velocity spreads in my Hornet, but I have not tried the crimp test on loads using it, as LiLGun works so well.

I have seldom crimped anything, not having any lever/tube feed rifles...but in this case, it helped.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Soup:

I've never shot a Hornet, or K, only the .223 and .222Mag. Am limited in exp. So please don't consider what I say here as knowing much, ok?

I did experiment with many bullets in the rebarreled .223 and found the .35gr made the same velocity as the 40gr did with the same 25gr charge of AA2200. But, over 200yds they'd get plumb scary wild. I mean, 100yds of scatter from the same position and same target on the hillside at 300-400yds. Those 40gr carried to target out further than anyone has business shooting at things, same as 55gr do in this gun.

I called Paul Box at Sierra and he explained those 35gr bullets lose velocity really quick and they'd become unstable once they got too slow, which the distance I was shooting gave them time to lose that high speed. I did find out to 200yds, they'd all go into one hole.

DoubleSS: right on about the AA2200, I saw that, so bought four jugs of it. Down to about one now and have three gallons of cases primed and ready to load. Wish I could find another 500#'s of it. From your comments, bet I'd have a fight on my hands if we both found the same supply as the same time, right??

Something else to consider. I've used 4227, and H110 in my Blackhawk .30 carbine and never discovered any difference. IF you get into using 4227, try some H110 in the Hornet and see if it equals each other. Might be another powder you could use along with those these other fellows have mentioned. Just a thought.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6019 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote