THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Load Data Needed.. 6mm, Remington 742

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Load Data Needed.. 6mm, Remington 742
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wizard78
posted
I posted this in the reload forum and thought I might get good results here too.

I recently gave a Remington 742 auto, in 6mm, to my BIL. I had never fired it but inspection showed very little wear. He is trying to find a load for the rifle to give him exceptable hunting accuracy, for 80 to 100 grain pills. Anyone have any favorite loads? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1574 | Location: SE Florida | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking IMR4064, IMR4895 or even IMR3031

Or if you pprefer RL propellants RL19 would probably shine in this cartridge.

Think medium burn rate propellants to keep the gas auto action happy.

I doubt that anyone is going to pop up with specific loads for that cartridge in that rifle...

I used to have a 6mmRem, but the loads I used really wouldn't work for you....

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wizard78
posted Hide Post
Thanks Allan. I'll pass that on, as he is used to reloading for bolt rifles.

Posts: 1574 | Location: SE Florida | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Juat remember that for MOST autos to function properly with reloads, you have to use small base dies. These dies squeeze the brass to just over SAMI spec mins to assure they feed properly. I have a 742 in .243 and have to use the SB dies or it just plain will not feed.

Posts: 109 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 10 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wizard78
posted Hide Post
Damn!! All sorts of tricks to reload for a semi. Since this is his first semi, I'm sure all this info will be helpful. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wizard-I used to shoot a 240 Page a whole bunch and for what it is worth I used R19 in it.

It'll work just fine for you 6 as well.

Good luck to ya!

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I load for a Remington 74 in 30-06 and IT likes RL19 and IMR4064.

And FWIW I agree on the Small Base dies, if RCBS makes them try to get their XSB dies, as my '06 remington would chamber small base sized ammo, but most of the time you have to shoot it out as manual ejection was "difficult".

Some batches of factory ammo would chamberif it was automatically loaded in the chamber, but would sometimes jam on the first round and you'd have to beat the bolt closed to get the action to fully close and of course shooting it out was going to be necissary.

I live with these problems because with it's favorite load of 49.5grs of IMR4064 behind a 165gr Nosler Ballistic Tip the rifle will shoot 1-1/4" or better with a fixed power 4x scope if I do my part.... BTW, I'm switching to Accubonds now that they are available in 165gr, so my BT ammo will get burned up in practice.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to use an 06 a fair amount, neat lil rig. G33/40 with a 21" tube on it and it was a wonderful piece (still have the rifle but it is now a 338/06).

To my point I used the 165 Sierra HPBT quite a bit and R19 was my go to powder. For this rig I got excellent speed and accuracy.

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote