New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is a .243 CATBIRD?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I see a Jarrett custom listed on a web site and have no idea what it is. Maybe a sort of .243 AI? Can anyone advise, please?

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike

Visualize a 270 Win necked to 243 and then Ackley-ized. Then visualize a barrel burner.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
in what way does this one differ from a 6mm-06 AI?

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steffen

.050" longer neck and a little bit easier to neck down. Otherwise, they are the same ting only different.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Easier to neck down than what?

A guy came to me about 15years ago with his (late) uncles rifle and the dies for it and wanted me to help him form his brass... he had Virgin 30-06 cases he wanted me to form into 6mm-06 for him.

I first asked if he either owned a 25-06 or planned on getting one after saying he didn't to both,
I told him use the 30-06 brass in a 30-06
and I sacrificed a couple of 25-06 cases to show him how easy it was to form 6mm-06 from 25-06.

Interestingly enough the chamber neck was cut so that no turning was required on 25-06 brass, his late uncle was apparrently a practical man.... ignoring the impracticality of the "big" 6mm cartridges.

Frankly anything bigger than a 6mmRem (AI only if you insist) is only going to have a shorter life.

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan DeGroot:
Easier to neck down than what?

Think about it Allan. The question was about the Catbird (270) vs the 6-06 Imp (06). A 270 is easier to neck to 6mm than is a 30-06. It's not rocket science.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, I should stay away from this rifle, eh?

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike

Nobody said that. Jarrett rifles have a well deserved reputation for quality. It would depend on the condition, price and what you intend to use it for. I would not hesitate to call Jarrett and and discuss it with him.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 6mm Arnold, which was also called a 6mm Jaybird. It is a 7mm remington mag necked down to 6mm.

The load I used shot a 70gr Nosler BT ~ 4200 fps. Very accurate.

The barrel lasted 200 rounds. The most I have heard on that gun was 800 rounds.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote