THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    What is the smallest caliber?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the smallest caliber?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted
I'm just curious, what is the smallest wildcat caliber ever produced, and what would ballistics be like?

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen a loaded case for a 14 Flea.....

Guess it was called the flea, because for the size of it.. that is probably as big of a varmint as it was good for taking.... lol

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tyler

I have seen write ups about wildcat cartridges using phonograph needles as projectiles. I'm sure the military has experimented with such things. The smallest practical caliber is probably 10 or 12 and several cartridges in those calibers have been developed. The smallest I have in my collection is a 12 Squirrel. As far as ballistics, propellant gases can only be accellerated to a certain speed and it's only possible to exceed that speed with gimmicks such as squeeze bores, rockets,etc. I don't know what the max speed is exactly but I think it's around 5000 fps. Confused

You might get better answers on the Wildcat Forum. There's also a site devoted entirely to the tiny calibers. I think it's saubier.com or something like that.

Good question.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
batter the outside and make the inside feel good, eh???

One of Us
Picture of Paladin 56
posted Hide Post
The 2.7mm Kolibri Auto, while not a wildcat, was a pretty small center fire. Produced about 1914, is shot a 3 grain bullet an estimated 650-700 fps, for about 3 ft/lbs of energy. It was said to penetrate about 1 1/2" of pine, and effective on overly aggressive cock roaches. This comes from "Cartridges of The World", 10th Edition

DRSS member

Do what you can with what you've got where you are. TR

Posts: 82 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 17 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cheechako:
I don't know what the max speed is exactly but I think it's around 5000 fps.
Ray
The practical limit is right around 14000fps. It becomes nearly impossible to move the heated gas column any faster. I read this in an article about NASA's "Light Gas" guns.
Pretty neat stuff. They used them to simulate spacecraft collisions with "space crap." Big Grin

You can probably go to the NASA website or Google "light gas guns" to get more info.

EDIT:
Here is the link:

Light Gas guns

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Kemp:
I'm just curious, what is the smallest wildcat caliber ever produced, and what would ballistics be like?

Bill Eichelberger did an 8 Eichelberger Dart on the 25acp case And I think he also did an 8 caliber on the 22LR case.

The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
2mm Pinfire for the watchcharm pistol maybe ?

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4463 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a 2MM UBUNGSMUNITION- It looks like a long necked down small rifle primer with a cb bullet. Its rim fire. Whole thing is only 0.365" long

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote