THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Fast twist barrel or try a Savage

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fast twist barrel or try a Savage
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have had and sold two rifles in 22-250. Both were fantastic shooters in their own way. I am at a crossroads now contemplating my next varmint gun. I want to be able to use the heavier for caliber pills available. Would you get a barrel with a 1-9 for a 700 action or go out on a limb and try a Savage that already has 1-9 twist? I am leaning towards the Savage. I have not had one in years and never had any complaints. I saw on their website the righthanded-left port 22-250 1-9twist that seems very interesting.

What say ye?

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting both a fast twist 22.250 and Savage rifles for years and I am happy with both of them.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fast twist to me means 1-7.
1-9 is okay up to around 70grs.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get the savage change triggers have fun.

Posts: 50 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 11 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With 0.224" bullets, and assuming a muzzle velocity in the range of 2,800 - 3,200 fps., a 1-9 twist will usually stabilize a bullet up to about an inch long.

I say "usually" because it is kind of on the bubble. My Ruger 77 .223 stabilizes the 77 Sierra Match King bullets, and the 75 Hornady A-Max (which is actually a bit longer than the Sierra, just over an inch).

This is at MV 2,800 fps at an elevation of 2,000 feet and shooting in summer at temps of 60F+. However at colder temps or lower elevations it might not be fast enough.

For my circumstances 1-9 works, though if I was installing a custom barrel I'd go 1-8, and I wouldn't argue with anyone who chose 1-7.

Incidentally the Tikka T3 is available with a 1-8 twist in .223, not sure what it is in .22-250. I don't own one but might try and pick one up.

Edited to add, I checked the Tikka site, the T3 in .22-250 has a 1-14 twist.

For load data, check Nosler #7 manual page 141, they have loads for heavier bullets in .22-250. Heaviest bullet for which data is shown is 80 gr. and they used a 1-8 twist barrel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always find it interesting the larger capacity 22 centerfires are usually mated with 1-14 twist barrels, while the "lowly" 223 often gets 1-7/1-8/1-9. Do most only see a need for hyper velocities with weightless pills?

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote