THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Savage Model 99 in .358 Winchester? Wrong venue but this is where I hang out. Sorry

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage Model 99 in .358 Winchester? Wrong venue but this is where I hang out. Sorry
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any a you fellas familiar or have any experience with the Model 99 Savage in .358?? A surreal situation has befallen me, I'm still afraid I'm gonna wake up any moment from a dream.
I know this is only small caliber if you shoot .50BMG's but the only two forums I hang at are Small Calibers and Varmint Hunting. The .358 might not be a small caliber but it dang sure ain't a varminter.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one but have not yet gotten around to shooting it. It is a featherweight in excellent shape. Got a good deal on it and don't have any non-antique ammo.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!!! Pinch yourself.

I've been collecting Savages for a while now and haven't even had a chance to buy one at a reasonable price in Canada.

The Savage 99 chambered for the .358s are very desirable rifles especially if the serial number is under a million. The .358 cartridge is a great eastern heavy cover deer cartridge and a great rifle for elk out west. Nice find.

One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
Great rifle and very good round. It is similar to the 9.3x57 I shoot as far as ballistics and performance. You can load plinking and 100 yard Varmint cartridges using .357 handgun bullets.

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one with the straight stock, model 99A maybe?
Anyway, I played with it alot when I first got it and found AA2015 to give by far the best vel/pressure ratio of anything else I tried. 22" barrel and just under 2400 fps with a 250 hornady and a heavy crimp. I got 5-6 loadings with the brass so in a rear locker like a 99 it couldnt have been to high a pressure.

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
I killed my first deer with a Savage 99 in 358Win on Uganik Is. in1980 I think it was maybe 81 ..Shooting the 250 gr Hornady RN I had handloaded with a Lee Loader and the dipper ......Hal Waugh ( Master Guide ) considered it a good brown bear round . It is the same as the 348 Win in terms of killing ability and ballistics ........ It may not be a fur round . But as far as general use it can,t be beat ......... Load a 225 gr TSX in it to 2450 .and most anything inside 200 yards is busted down and dead , and for deer size game 300 yards is not a problem ............ I sold mine because I was young and stupid , and everyone around me was hooked ( stupidly ) on the 300 Win Mag ... Most of us are also on the other forums . ie. Medium , and big bore .

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Son, it's time you went bear huntin'...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.358_Winchester

I shot a vintage 99 yesterday, 30-30; hit a "kill zone" sized gong from a truck hood rest 7 times out of 15 with the original open sights (and the original eyes)@130 yards.

If a see a nice one, I'm gonna buy it; Lord knows I passed up a slew of 'em in the past.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote