THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Best factory Load 243 African Plainsgame?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best factory Load 243 African Plainsgame?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for opinions and feedback on what load (factory) is best recommended for the 243 for general African plains game

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
The 243Win is a fun little calibre. It is a great impala gun, cob, and tommy, too. Just see which factory loads are the most accurate.

Yes, the 243 will take hartebeest, but Africa has big critters in the bushes. When we were looking for a nice lefty rifle for my 270-toting wife, we settled on a 375Ruger, 20" stainless with pepper laminate stock. She really likes it and we can load it down to factory 9.3 levels.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would go with premium bullets (TSX, Partition etc) in the heaviest weight available, and will shoot well in your gun.
And remember it is still a 243 so let the Eland keep walking. sure it could be used on anything with a perfect shot under perfect conditions but that hunting ground only exists on the internet.

Mark

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Clark:
I would go with premium bullets (TSX, Partition etc) in the heaviest weight available, and will shoot well in your gun.
Mark

May work for the Partition but I'm a firm believer that the solid copper bullets should drop down a size or two in weight, boost the velocity and that insures that it opens and penetrates deep. 80 or 85 grain TSX or TTSX will penetrate enough that you won't recover a bullet. I think Federal premiums load Barnes bullets.
I would look for a 90, 95 or 100 grain Bonded or Partition or a 80 or 85 grain mono metal.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Clark:
Mark

May work for the Partition but I'm a firm believer that the solid copper bullets should drop down a size or two in weight, boost the velocity and that insures that it opens and penetrates deep. 80 or 85 grain TSX or TTSX will penetrate enough that you won't recover a bullet. I think Federal premiums load Barnes bullets.
I would look for a 90, 95 or 100 grain Bonded or Partition or a 80 or 85 grain mono metal.

We are both right, the heaviest TSX is 85 gr and TTSX 80 gr. So the heaviest copper is a size lighter.

Mark

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Well we must be right then!
Wink

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I would have ZERO reservations shooting the 80 gr TTSX on African critters.

I shoot my handloads at 3415 fps and have gotten over 26" of penetration shooting thru milk jugs filled with water at 100 yards, and still didn't catch the bullet as it went thru the last one, too.

I've taken several whitetails and antelopes with this combination.

Good luck!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't spend 19 hours one-way on an airplane to shoot little things. I don't spend ten grand or more to shoot them.

I have only hunted Zimbabwe once, for Cape Buffalo.

I have hunted RSA twice for plains game. They have things that will kill you there, at least two cats that have you on their prey item list. I'm insecure about stuff like that.

Hunting Ethics dictate that you not hunt with something that will work not just if every thing works right, but with something that will work if every thing turns to shit...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback from the few that did read the question but Man I wish some of you actually read the question! I live in Africa and spent a chunk of my life guiding DG safaris so I am not planning to hunt the Zambezi Valley with just a 243....

Over here we don't have quite the same selection of and access to ammunition and since my young son will be shooting his 243 more and more and on slightly bigger plains game I was trying to get feedback and opinion on what FACTORY loads guys use and would be seen to work best. And hoping for some feedback on the TSX, Swift, GMX and the like; and not a lecture on where I should and shouldn't be using the calibre.....

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the clarification. I had missed your African location, too.

In three or four years I may be in the same situation with teaching grandkids to hunt. The 243 comes in small package rifles, which makes it pretty ideal. If you're in southAfrica you might have access to GSC. Elsewhere, I would look for the Barnes 80gn TTSX as the standard from which to measure loadings. The monometals will guarantee penetration which is the most important characteristic when possibly taking on a large for calibre animal.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
There are a number of factory offerings for the 243. I would personally look at ammo offering the 80 gr TTSX or 85 gr TSX. Other options would include the 90 gr AccuBond, 100 gr Partition or even the 90 gr Norma Oryx and 90 gr Swift Scirocco.

I can honestly say stay far far away from the Hornady SST bullets. They are too soft for game animals and performance will be an extreme disappointment.

Good luck!

Graybird

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are talking springbok,bushbuck and similar game I would recommend the 100 grain Rem Core Loct. Just about as deadly as anything on deer sized game.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The CoreLoct is a damn fine bullet. I know It's really not possible .....but I have killed quite a few deer with the absolutely horrible Sieera Gane King....... 100grain spitzer boat tail. Damn fine bullet rated for the velocity of the 243 win. Federal at least used to load them in their cartiges.

243 is a great cartrige.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I don't spend 19 hours one-way on an airplane to shoot little things. I don't spend ten grand or more to shoot them.

I have hunted RSA twice for plains game. They have things that will kill you there, at least two cats that have you on their prey item list. I'm insecure about stuff like that.

Hunting Ethics dictate that you not hunt with something that will work not just if every thing works right, but with something that will work if every thing turns to shit...

How is this helping the OP with his factory loaded bullet selection for plains game ?
Your statement is completely irrelevant.
Who gives a rats ass if you only want to shoot "big" things after a long plane flight.
The OP had a valid question that some of us are attempting to contribute to, if you can't shut the hell up.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
yuck

Graybird

one of us
posted Hide Post
Amen Snellstrom

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not familiar with what is available in Factory offerings these days. Most people I know that do not reload use PMP 100gr ammo. Impala Bullets make very good factory ammo and use a solid brass bullet which is very accurate too.
Not sure what ammo you can get your hands on but you cant go wrong if you choose something like Norma,Rem, S&B etc.

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 100 grain Hornady interlocks in my .243s. I've had nothing but good results on whitetailed deer here in the US. I'd probably be tempted to try the 85 grain TSX if you can get ahold of them. Otherwise, most any decent 100 grain softpoint will do the job on anything up to 300 pounds or so, provided the shooter does his part.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

How is this helping the OP with his factory loaded bullet selection for plains game ?
Your statement is completely irrelevant.
Who gives a rats ass if you only want to shoot "big" things after a long plane flight.
The OP had a valid question that some of us are attempting to contribute to, if you can't shut the hell up.

GD!!!! graybird you better tie Snell up.....

Nope let him loose.....had to laugh.....can you picture ISS hunting in the mountains that we were in this past June?

Always entertaining to watch the show ISS puts on

Hey Rich..... Shut the phuck up

As far as the .243 and PG......TTSX or GMX

Above all....and this is no different for your .243 or any other round

placement placement placement

It friggin trumps everything

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Ask Carlton about his placement and the SST he used on the impala after you guys left.

No need to discuss the warthog either!

Graybird

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Start a group text....I haven't seen his or Mike's pictutes yet

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciatted