New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: CZ Crap!@
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Congratulations on your "crappy" new rifle! My Ruger Hornet shot just under .3's... One shot groups @ 100 yards...
Regards, George.

one of us
posted Hide Post
bearcat,
I hear ya, I purchased one of those crappy 452 varmints in .22 long rifle and darn it when shooting flies (literally) at 50 yards I can't hit em in the head every shot. What am I to do with this piece of junk? I mean it only outshoots my buddies sako but jeez, can't you expect more from a $300 rifle?
Whats this world coming to?
Matt

one of us
posted Hide Post
Me too! I got "suckered" into buying one of those Czech pieces of crap as well. A CZ452/Silhouette/.22lr.

I mean really folks, the dang thing will only put 5 in a .230" group at 50 yds!

And the trigger? It would only go down to about 2 lbs. I've actually come to expect a creepy 8 or 9 lb. trigger on my new rifles. How are we supposed to deal with a good rifle out of the box?

How much is that new 504/Rem again?

Posts: 260 | Location: ky. | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On the serious side guys, I really couldn't be happier with this little rifle. I've been "vaporizing" starlines (small black bird that messes with the farming operations around here, a little smaller than a Robin) Out of russian olive trees at 85-150 yards all day long from my back porch. 25g Bergers on top of 24.5g's of Varget gives me a shade over 4050 fps. I literally "vaporized" 50+ birds with 99.9% accuracy. (I missed one, ONE! And that was my fault, I pulled the shot) I have done NOTHING to this rifle, took it out of the box, adjusted the trigger, broke in the barrel correctly and thats it. No bedding job ect... Just dropped a 3-9 Monarch on top and started shooting. I bought the gun for shooting Bobcats and foxes at night. (tired of blowing them to pieces with the 22-250) Havn't got a crack at either yet, but it has put down a coyote. 17 cal enterence wound no exit. So I proped him up and proceded to do "Ballistic Testing for hide damage" with him. Shot him in the shoulder, ribs, guts, and the head. All with the same results, no exit, no hide damage. All in all you could say I'm happy with it.............Did I mention that I'm happy with itSmiler

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I've been "vaporizing" starlines (small black bird that messes with the farming operations around here, a little smaller than a Robin)

I believe you mean European starling Sturnus vulgaris and please feel free to vaporize as many as you like. There are very good reasons why the scientific names specific epithet is vulgaris, Latin for vulgar. Non native trash.

Those 25gr. Berger match bullets are a superb fur bullet, seldom exit on a ccoyote or bobcat. But they will on grey foxes, hence the reason I use a Calhoon 37 gr. Dbl.HP in a reduced load out of a .222 Rem. for them.

It's really amazing to watch a coyote get hit with that bullet, it's like they got zapped by a laser. Tiny hole in and no exit, but when you dissect them the interior is mush.

Bear in mind that a .17 is at it's best at about 225 yards and under on coyotes and cats. But reality is that's about max range for really good shot placement.

Try some of Calhoons .17 bullets, the 28 gr. Dbl.HP is another good coyote bullet that stretches the distance a bit.

Posts: 1295 | Location: 3rd Planet from the Sun | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bastards have sucked me into buying 5 of there rifles all shoot great and feed and function flawlessly...what is a man supposed to do with these 5 crappy rifles, my Ruger MK11 30/06 would not come within a bulls roar of my cz's as far as fit/finish/quality/accuracy goes.

Crappy cz's

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Three of the last four rifles I've purchased have been CZ's, .17 HMR, .223 Varmint Laminate, .17 Remington. I hate all of em! My buddies have seen what they do at the range and now when I miss they say it's my fault. Maybe I'll buy a Ruger.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GBF
posted Hide Post
Skinner, as temting as it is to translate the latin name of the Starling directly into English...the latin word "Vulgaris" has nothing to do with vulgarity but means "Common" But an Ecologist should know that right

Posts: 392 | Location: Insula Thule | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
GBF: Nice clarification. Cheerio.

bearcat: The CZ I'm playing with sucks so badly that I don't really shoot it all that much any more. The Black Hills 50gr VMax Moly shoots under 1/2" all day long. There's no challenge in it at all. And hitting gongs up and down the range with 100% success got old pretty quick too.

Now if I want to practice my concentration I pick up the Cooey. Lawyers would love the trigger, feels like 1" of very notchy, very heavy take-up. Somehow it still shoots tight clusters at 50 and 100 yards (w/ PMC Scoremaster).

Thanks for the post, I actually expected someone to shit on the CZs. Glad to see it was sarcasm.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

the latin word "Vulgaris" has nothing to do with vulgarity but means "Common

It was used then as a descriptive "of common people", and was derogatory. Look up the origin of the word.

Posts: 1295 | Location: 3rd Planet from the Sun | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shot a Red fox with it this morning running quartering away at 150 yards. Went in right behind the ribs, no exit. Perfect!

I really don't care what "vulgaris" means, all I know is that they are nasty dirty little buggers that will destroy a conlony of leafcutter bees. Which farmers around this area use to pollinate specialty seed crops. Along with Magpies they are the most hated bird in the area.

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GBF
posted Hide Post
Skinner, my latin dictionary says "common, usual or ordinary" and so say all the online dictionaries as well. yours might off course translate it otherwise.

Regards

Posts: 392 | Location: Insula Thule | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I so glad I only have 3 of these POSes. I think by the time I get the 4th or 5th I'll be finished with them all together. Mine are all .22's, a 452 .22mag, 527 hornet lux and 527 varmint .223. Just to be sure, I'll have to test the carbine in 7.62x39 and maybe a 550 in 6.5x55. BTW, a 35 grain Hornady out of the hornet scatters starling feathers very nicely too.

Posts: 338 | Location: Johnsburg, Illinois | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Okay, okay I'll get one, you've made your point. However, I want mine in a .22Hornet. I need to put
some frustration back in my life, and I hear the Hornet will do it. I'm still not sure if the CZ is the old
Brno firm, but they made the most accurate Hornet bolt rifle I've ever seen. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hate to rain on your parade Cal ole buddy, if you want frustration I suggest a Ruger Hornet. I'm betting you won't find a suffecient amount with the CZ to really get into. Again if I might suggest, get some WW cases, segregate them by weight, stick in a WSR primer, dump in between 12.5 and 13.4 grain Lil'Gun, shove a 40 grain V-Max in till it's just off the lands ( won't be able to use the magazine, plastic spacer makes it too short, but it can be modified easily for more room). I'll bet $50.00 to a doughnut hole after a little break in it'll shoot better than you ever imagined. I'm thinkin half inchish.

I've read your posts about the fickle nature of the .17 Remington, recently I purchased a CZ in that caliber. After careful break in and using once fired fully worked cases I shot 16 5shot groups at 100 yards, using 4 different bullets, the largest group of the day was a 1.12 the smallest was a .211 an the agg was .509. ( no internet windies here ). As a test in fireforming cases I shot 50 rounds without cleaning ( after break in, I usually clean after 25) the last 5 went into a group just over half inch. Gun cleaned completely with about 12 or 15 patches and some brushing. It's not the cartridge, it's the gun maker. CZ's make some very accurate guns. The only place they come up short is their bedding, I've bedded all of mine. They say their epoxy bedded, epoxy must cost more than gold over there they use two little pieces one in each corner of the recoil lug channel ( looks like two little pieces of chewing gum), only shortcoming I've found.

So if you really need some frustration in your life might I reccomend buying your kids some gerbils. The CZ's I've had have been terribly boring.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope CZ or Remington(new LV would be great!) chambers for the .204 Ruger soon so I won't be tempted to buy a damn Ruger!!! I'm tempted already but can be swayed!! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sako
posted Hide Post
Cal Sibley:
Cz is the same as Brno!
They changed the name after the Iron curtain fell!

Ben
Iceland.

Posts: 290 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 06 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GBF
posted Hide Post
Sako, no Zbrojovka Brno and CZ are two different companies and have been for decades. however, CZ did produce a lot of firearms under the name of ZB to use their good worldwide known name.

Regards

one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
I have 3 of those "CZs" A 550 Varmit, a 452 and a 631 (springer)

It does get boring shooting all those bullets into one hole

And that springer (Slavia 631), I think all the squirrels I shot at must have had heart attacks because they just jumped up and fell over dead.

I'm such a sucker, I had better start saving up for another CZ.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can any of you guys comment on the CZ 550 Varmint Laminate in 22-250? I'm considering another 22-250 and you guys have definitely peaked my interest in these. I have never owned one, or even heard about them until about a year ago. What is the twist rate on this bugger?

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 CZ's a 527 Varmint 223 and a 452 Varmint .22. Both outshoot me. No complaints.

Posts: 411 | Location: Smack, in the middle of Oklahoma | Registered: 18 August 2003Reply With Quote