THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Got my new M70 Stainless 6.5x55 and Ruger 350 in

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got my new M70 Stainless 6.5x55 and Ruger 350 in
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted
The Muzzle is nicely counter bored, the stock nice dark good figure-very pleasantly surprised overall and damned if Winchester did not free float this gun.

I now have a 6.5x55 again to replace those I had and the 260's I also let go. This baby OUGHT to shoot esp. with its 8 twist, should handle ALL 85-160's fairly well. In a few weeks I will get loading supplies in and test fire and report.

The Ruger also looks very good and I will report on it as well.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pics here, too!

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a few year old m70 featherweight 6.5x55, its blue, wood. Its fun to shoot and tight groups to with R22,

Lets see som pix

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Wish I had pics-no digital camera. sorry

one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
6.5BR,
I'm really looking forward to a range report. Smiler

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
It may be awhile, but I will get them both out once my loading supplies come in.

Meanwhile today I shot my new 221 FB, 40gr's Lil Gun powder 3616fps!!!!!! It Shoots better than I can hold it.....under .5 with 10x-Speedy Gonzales built it.

My #1 shot 5 105 amax's in under .5 at 100 yards
as well......WINDY conditions

Oh.....28.5 varget.....2814 fps....

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Sorry, the #1 is a 6BR, Kepplinger trigger

posted Hide Post
Looking forward to a range report! I found that my M70 FWT 6.5x55 shoots better with upward pressure at the tip of the stock. When I got it, it was floated and didn't group very consistently. I added a shim under the barrel and things tightened up nicely. It really likes 120 Nosler BT's with RL-19.

Not sure why, but I just picked up a like-new Ruger M77 MkII in 6.5x55 and so far I found that it has about 1/4" less free bore than the Winchester. It will be interesting to see how much of a difference it makes being able to seat bullets out to the lands (which I can't do with the Winchester unless I'm loading long 160 gr. RN bullets).

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
I have heard enough decent reports on the M70, and I am sure it would do 'better' with shorter throat.....ironically Seafire deep throated his Ruger 260's for 140s etc.

Looking at the leade in the chamber-it looks to be very slow gradual taper albeit a deep throat.

I do know from experience often '96 mausers with long throats shoot 85-120's well even far off lands.

Never know until you try as one former benchrester told me......

Thanks for the tip on the shim pressure-this gun I have is factory floated and I am hoping it will do its potential as is.......