New
Find
Notify
Tools

My First .30-'06
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been shooting for 40 years, mainly .22's, .44mag, .375 H&H and shotgun sports. Yesterday, I went into a small, local gun store to buy a 9.3X62 and walked out with a centenniel sweetheart! A Win M70 Classic Sporter LT, .30-'06! I saw her standing there in the rack all beautiful and proud and she said: "I've been waiting for you...take me home!" Ya know, I know "everyone owns one" and that it's just plain Jane, but why am I so enamored with my new gun? I've reloaded and shot many loads downrange, but I have never been more excited to do some load development than with my new -'06!
Do you remember your first -'06? Go ahead and share with me your stories. Maybe it was the time Grandpa brought his over to give you for your graduation or you inherited Uncle Joes.
Share your ott six stories, if you like. After all, every gun has stories to tell...

SCI, NRA Life Member

Warm trails and blue skies!

one of us
posted Hide Post
My first '06 was nearly my last. In 1966, my father bought me a $55 rifle, which I now know was a Santa Barbara Mauser action around a 30-06. The trigger was awful, requiring me to use my stronger middle finger to fire. The rifle beat the daylights out of me, and I've avoided the caliber ever since.

Like you, though, I commemorated USRAC's passing and the 100th anniversary of the cartridge by recently buying a very nice Stainless M70 Featherweight. I think I'm over my dislike of the round...

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ScottW:

Scott, does Gibson's still exist? roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought my first 30-06 right before my first African Hunt. I was sighting it in two days before I left (don't do this at home kids) and I could hardly keep it on the paper. My buddy said "Let me try". He fired one round and said "this trigger sucks, leave it with me and come back tomorrow". The next day the trigger broke at a crisp 2.5 lbs. I took that stainless Model 70 Classic to Botawana and took a Tsessebe, Warthog, Impala, Red Lechewe and Spurwing goose with it, all but the Tsessebe were one shot kills. None had to be tracked. It went back again this summer and took another Impala and Lechewe and added an Ostrich, three shots; three animals. The rifle just works.

I friend of mine says the 30-06 is a boring caliber - I say "yes it's boring, shoot something with it and it just dies."

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
ScottW: Do you remember your first -'06? Go ahead and share with me your stories. Maybe it was the time Grandpa brought his over to give you for your graduation or you inherited Uncle Joes. Share your ott six stories, if you like. After all, every gun has stories to tell...

I've told it before but I'll happily tell it again. My Grandfather bought mine for me one summer when I was 13 back in 1959 at Sanger's or Tiche's (can't remember which one for certain) in downtown Dallas. My happiest days afield were spent with it chasing Hill Country whitetails with my Father or Grandfather. Gonna be buried with her. Top rifle:

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing more classic than a model 70 in 30,06. I have 2 and an old springfield too. when i am talking about rifles I want and someone say you don't need a .257 weatherby, you already have a 25,06, or somthing like that i respond with, If need materd I would have stoped after my 1st 06. Its any one hunting in the lower 48 need. Wants ? now that is a different matter...tj3006 By the way, i would start my loads with IMR-4350 and RL-22...

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger: The "Gibson's" I refer to is Gibson guitars. My grandfather was a B-western movie star (author of "Back In the Saddle Again") and came up with the concept Gibson used to design the infamous Gibson SJ-200 guitar.

Good stories, gents, keep 'em coming.

Blue skies and staight shooting
ScottW

SCI, NRA Life Member

Warm trails and blue skies!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since the 30-06 is now 100 years old get one if you don't have one. My grandfather picked up a surplus 'sporterized' '03 Mark I. I restocked it and fixed it up so it's very nice now .A piece of history and a fine rifle and cartridge !!

One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
My dad gave me my Mod 70 30-06 for Christmas in 1964. Still sports the Redfield 3X9 and
they came from Western Auto. It has been my friend a long time and hope to take her to Africa soon. It is the only 06 I have owned.

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine was a converted 1917 Enfield with a Bishop stock and a Texan scope paid for with paper route money. I still have it.

Bob Mehaffey

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never wanted a 30-06. When I finaly started considering one, I decided it had to be in an action desighned for it, a Battle rifle. So I looked for a 1903, 1903a3, 1917, or M1.

Last fall I found a bargain on a sporter 1903. I loved the smooth action, and excellent feeding. The barrel was junk, old, pitted, little rifling at the muzzle. I thought I found the donor for a 35 Whelen.

I didn't have 30-06 dies and didn't plan to buy any, so I neck sized and seated with a set of 7.5x55 dies. From a recommended load here, the only load I tried was 165g btsp and 57g H4350.

The rifle shoots a few under 1" groups! Even better, I shot a 4 shot, .66 group with korean m-2 ball ammo!!!!

I love this rifle. It is my favorite to pull out of the safe and fondle. It has the original Springfield Armory barrel, 04/30. Nice swept back bolt, Beuhler safety, and an odd barrel band/sling swivel hickey. I don't especialy love the steel butplate, though, but a slip on recoil pad also makes it long enough for me.

Now I need another 1903 for a 35.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Jones:
Nothing more classic than a model 70 in 30,06. I have 2 and an old springfield too. when i am talking about rifles I want and someone say you don't need a .257 weatherby, you already have a 25,06, or somthing like that i respond with, If need materd I would have stoped after my 1st 06. Its any one hunting in the lower 48 need. Wants ? now that is a different matter...tj3006 By the way, i would start my loads with IMR-4350 and RL-22...

Actually I think one of your springfields is "More Classic"

I love RL22 with 165's & 180's but RL19 is a far better choice for 150's
IMR4350 is great across the board.

Winchested closing it's doors is not motivation enough to take a chance on getting one of their all too common lemons produced by people that just don't care.

Who here wants a rifle produced by someone knowing that they will be job hunting in a few weeks?

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first 30-06? A Danish Madsen, the finest bolt action infantry rifle built post WWII homer. They sold them to 1 country - Colombia.

The Danes were known for their metalwork and this one is no exception - milled steel everything, solid as a tank. Shoots very well.

Bought it for $100 from a guy with a large rifle collection, who knew that after his death his wife was going to give it all away. The rifle is probably worth $700.
And, yes, that is a compensator after the front sight.

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My first '06 is/was a Remington 700 BDL-SS. It is currently at the gunsmith's shop becoming a Krieger barreled .280 Remington.

Posts: 164 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 04 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rayderluvr
posted Hide Post
My first (only) '06 was Reminton 700 ADL, pretty rough. I never fired the rifle, sold it to a buddy that was going out of state to hunt deer (i used to live in Iowa, shotguns only for deer). Not sure if I will ever buy another unless I find a great deal (alwasy looking for another gun!!)...my .270 WSM, 6mm, .223, and .223WSSM do whatever I need in SW MO.

You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose.....but you can't pick your friends nose!

Posts: 72 | Location: SW Misssouri | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first .30-06 was a Rem 742 with an 18 1/2" barrel. Used to piss people off at the infromal ranges we went to, but it was accurate, especially with open sights. My current is a Rem 700, about 25 years old, used to be my father's. Twenty rounds at the range when I first got it, and I realized why he never shot it much -- That hard plastic butt plate was brutal, especially since the rifle is barely 7 1/2 lbs. with a scope. A limbsaver grind-to-fit made us friends again. I'll be working up loads for it this spring for deer/elk next fall, and I'm looking forward to it.

Posts: 119 | Location: Phoenix | Registered: 05 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've owned so many 30-06's! I must have about 7 of them right now!

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
My first was a remington 700 BDL back in 1971 in 1973 i bought a remington 760 gamemaster pump i had one in a NEF handi rifle a 1903 springfield and my most recent is the one i hunt with its a ruger M77 MKII ultra light. I just love the .30/06

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wizard78
posted Hide Post
My first 06 was a used Remmy 742. Served me well until I got "bolt" fever and bought a new BSA Monarch (I still have) in 06. I've owned and still own manyrifles in this versatile caliber. My Dad left me his Remmy 760 carbine and I still use it many times for whittail but my favorite is my Sako Finnbear Deluxe in 06. Smooth as silk and accurate as a laser. It's in good company with my 06 Styer and pre 64 Winnie, in 06. I won't go as far as saying it's my favorite caliber but I own more rifles in 06 than any other caliber.

Posts: 1574 | Location: SE Florida | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My first 30-06 is the Tikka Whitetail Hunter I bought about 5 years ago. Very nice rifle for the $.

Posts: 15 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
quote:
ScottW: Do you remember your first -'06? Go ahead and share with me your stories. Maybe it was the time Grandpa brought his over to give you for your graduation or you inherited Uncle Joes. Share your ott six stories, if you like. After all, every gun has stories to tell...

I've told it before but I'll happily tell it again. My Grandfather bought mine for me one summer when I was 13 back in 1959 at Sanger's or Tiche's (can't remember which one for certain) in downtown Dallas. My happiest days afield were spent with it chasing Hill Country whitetails with my Father or Grandfather. Gonna be buried with her. Top rifle:

FLA3006:

That is a beautiful piece of wood on your 30-06, not your ordinary M70. Is the stock original? Very nice.

Posts: 871 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's refreshing to see a post revitalizing the wonderful old 30/06!!! It's the cartridge that every other is measured to. The cartridge that has killed everything on the planet and didn't need 80-100 grains of powder to do it. Long live the wonderful 30/06.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote