Find
Notify
Tools

savage Mod. 40 22 hornet
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
Big Grindoes anyone own one of these varmint rifles ? HOW DOES IT PERFORM? beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of woodseye
posted Hide Post
The word out of savage is they are a $ loser and may not be in the line-up too much longer. They provide decent accuracy but not at the level of their short and long conventional actions.

woods

Savage ML'er....... a New Generation Traditionalist....... Thanks to Henry Ball

Posts: 672 | Location: Northern Border Country | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I bought one a few months back but wasn't able to shoot it until recently. I've put it on paper @ fifty yards it will shoot .3 to .5 five shot groups (I wiggle a lot). 45gr rem bullets 12.5gr Lil'gun. I have also danced small objects @ 200 yards(public range - don't like to go down to set targets). Overall pretty happy for the money. Did have to make a shim support for the back of the reciever. It kind of floats on the stock. If you overtighen the rear screw the bolt will bind and not slide smoothly. I mic'd the gap and made up a shim (measured a small stack of washers) and snugged it up. Going to play with cast bullets next.
Brian

Posts: 16 | Location: Gardnerville, Nv | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one, It shoots Like a Savage. I am putting it up for sale I just shot it a little "about 50 rounds" and got bored with it.
I got the 204 fever so if anyone wants it, it comes with lee dies 100 new in the bag Winchester cases and a Barska 6-20x50 scope.
$450.00 Shipped. It is in 99.999% condition and has been bedded.

Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Savage were to offer a model that takes the old Model 340 magazine, I think that they'd sell a bunch of rifles.

Posts: 420 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 08 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amen, Chop901, for that matter, why not just bring back the Model 340? I loved mine in .22 Hornet, and it would do half an inch at 100 yards all day. Shot 13 Woodchucks with it one afternoon in 1971 or 2. That little gun was amazing, and when I restocked it with a Cherrywood stock people began to mistake it for a Sako! Loved the 340.
LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Should have made the gun with a mag that you could put 4 rounds in. It would haved sold better.

Hell I wish someone would build a good hornet or a bee in a LH repeater.

505ED

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote