New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Sako .222
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Clark: If the year was 1962, then the rifle is probably the "second generation" Sako, or L461. These had a floorplate-type internal magazine and a sliding thumb safety on the right-hand side. The stocks also had a monte carlo. They are exquisite little guns, and one of this age will have a barrel marked "Bofors Steel", that is considered a premium cut-rifled barrel. Many of the early .222's had a twelve groove ("micro goove") barrel that some people have dissed, but the one I own is the most accurate of any of my Sako collection (sub .5 MOA).

The earlier model was the L46 (and a rifle purchased in 1962 COULD have been from older stock). It differed from the later model in that it had a detachable magazine and a sort of rolling thumb safety as a part of the cocking shroud. These were also very fine guns, but I regard the L461 as slightly more refined.

At any rate, Sakos of this vintage are highly regarded. Don't let any of these P.T. Barnums around here try to talk you out of yours (that's my job)!

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, it's definitely a L461. I remember all those little details. Thanks for all the help!!!

-Dan

Posts: 350 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 30 September 2004Reply With Quote