THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Anyone shootin the 100grn Hornady RN in 243win?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone shootin the 100grn Hornady RN in 243win?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I dunnow why but I have an infatuation with using round nosed bullets whenever possible. Have any of you had any expertise with this projectile on game or even just paper?

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=147814

----------------------------------------

If you waste your time a talkin' to the people who don't listen
To the things that you are sayin' who do you thinks gonna hear
And if you should die explainin' how the thing they complain about
Or the things they could be changing who do you thinks gonna care

Waylon Jennings

Posts: 329 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Yeah, well I am afflicted with the same mental disease I guess... for 250yds and under, I prefer a RN or SMP...

They are both usually more accurate and also give better penetration in my opinion than the same sized spitzer bullets...

may just be in my head, but experience has never proved me wrong...

those who knock a RN don't usually know what they are talking about... they may not have the longer range or flatter trajectory of a spitzer, but beyond that, they do as well as any premium priced bullets...for accuracy and 'on game' performance..

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a few boxes on the shelf. I've never used them on game, but did work up a load for my 243. I found them to be nicely accurate in my gun. I don't have the load data handy, but my recollection is they went in to about 3/4" at 100 yards. I didn't have to work too hard to get them to shoot, either. I got them because the price was right a few years ago for plinkers, and found they shot real nice.

**STAY ALERT! The world is running out of lerts; we can't afford to lose anymore!**

Posts: 223 | Location: New England | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So far, I have had no success in getting 100 grain bullets to shoot in my Rem 788 in 243. I posted a question on the Reloading forum below and did not get any information on suggested loads etc. YMMV.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife used the Hornady round nose 100 to kill her first deer. It was a broadside shot at 40 yards, in the ribs. I don't remember if it exited, but the deer ran 15 yards and died.

The load was with Varget.

I chose the round nose hoping that the shorter length would stabilize in her slow twist barrel.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot about 10 deer with it in 6mm rem and 243. Accurate, dependable but not for long range. Looks good loaded doesn't seem to be any better or worse than other designs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire2:
... experience has never proved me wrong...

those who knock a RN don't usually know what they are talking about... they may not have the longer range or flatter trajectory of a spitzer, but beyond that, they do as well as any premium priced bullets...for accuracy and 'on game' performance..
+1 No need to try and say it better than that.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So far, I have had no success in getting 100 grain bullets to shoot in my Rem 788 in 243. I posted a question on the Reloading forum below and did not get any information on suggested loads etc. YMMV.
Peter.

Peter,

I was having the same problems with my old 788 and my Dad while cleaning out a bunch of stuff to move gave me a couple of boxes of 243 cart's. he had reloaded in 1986.
Hornady 2453 bullets ( 100g boat tail spitzers ) over 40 grains IMR 4350 and a CCI primer. The damn things all shot into an inch at 100yds. I haven't reloaded that recipe myself yet but to say the least I was tickled.

Maybe handloads are like good Bourbon and just need to be aged Wink

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks JTEX. I will look for them.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
UPDATE

I bought a box of these and loaded them up with various charges of Varget up to the MAX load from Hodgon's webpage. Groupings with the start load were pretty good and they only got better as the charge weight was increased for a best of the day 5shot group of just under 1" @ 100yds. No velocities were taken, I'll get that next time out.

The rifle used was a plane jane wood stocked Savage 111

Waylon Jennings

Posts: 329 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear it went well.

Be sure to test for drop at all the ranges you will shoot at. The ballistics programmes have proven to greatly under estimate drop of RN bullets in my experience.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894mk2:
Glad to hear it went well.

Be sure to test for drop at all the ranges you will shoot at. The ballistics programmes have proven to greatly under estimate drop of RN bullets in my experience.

My pointblank software seems to greatly underestimate bullet drop with even the raciest most aerodynamic bullets. In my experience ballistic programmes are very optimistic

Waylon Jennings