THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Re: Redding Type S bushing die versus Lee Collet die ?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Redding Type S bushing die versus Lee Collet die ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
All of the Lee Collet dies have worked well for me including a custom set and others modified to do cartridges that they don't make them for. Like anything else they need some TLC at times but most of the time they fly on the first try.

As to neck sizing with "S" type dies I really don't think they align the case as well as a FL die or a Lee Collet die. That's why I suggest both a Collet die and a Redding "S" type FL die for each case.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the Redding NS Bushing dies. I find the Wilson NS Knockout die works well also. Most of my 11 sets of dies now are one or the other. I buy an extra .001" smaller bushing than my measurements indicate because of the varying thickness of cases. It's worked well thus far. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Overall, I don't think there's much to choose between Redding products and Lee stuff. I have some Lee dies and bullet moulds. They seem to work, BUT, compared to Redding, well, you can SEE the difference with the naked eye.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I haven't quite been prepared to fork out the $$$ for the Redding S or Comp dies but I have a couple of Lee dies. Actually for a .17REM too being one of the calibres.

The downside to the Lee is that you don't get to use the compound leverage of the press to size the cases so if you are doing a lot you exert a lot of effort. I am only assuming that the the Redding collet dies allows you to use the full press stroke.

Not a problem with the .17 but I found but as you go up in calibre the effort required to resize a case is considerable.

That said in .17 I found zilch accuracy difference between using the collet dies set and the std RCBS does I had. Same with the a 22-250.

What I found great is the no need for lubing thing.

Regards
John

Posts: 370 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote