New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 22-250 vs. 223 wssm?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
JMO, I've been accused of being a ludite before but the only effort I see that it would take to jump on every "its new, it must be better" trolley that comes by is the effort it would take to fill that big hole in my wallet back up.
I'll leave the "post production experimentation" to you rich guys.
Put me in the 22-250 corner.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I finally saw a M70 in .223 WSSM for sale. It was a pushfeed sporter with a plastic stock and light 23" barrel for about $450.

That rifle might be the new minimum for stunt hunters who think they can impress someone by taking a whitetail with a .224" bore. The 223 WSSM does have a 1-10 twist so it may stabilize some longer bullets. That barrel is too light and short to get the most out of that cartridge as a varminter.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What does the .223 WSSM offer over the .22-250? Velocity for one, around 200 fps. faster. Also my .223 WSSM is more accurate than any .22-250 or .220 Swift I have ever had(5 .22-250’s and 3 .220 Swifts). I am talking straight out of the box accuracy not after I have played around with loads or whatever. The main disadvantage to the .223 WSSM is that it is new so no one wants to believe in it yet but don't over look it just because it's new. The same thing was said about many other cartridges when they were first introduced. The choice is up to you but like I said don’t over look the .223 WSSM as it to is a good choice. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
THANKS to you guys; I appreciate the opinions. I am leaning toward the .22-250 because it is a known performer and I can buy a used gun, and then be able to invest a bit in upgrades - if needed after shooting -like barrel and trigger. By time the grass is green I should be ready to go.

I have dreamed twice about the Remington Varmint synthetic in 22-250 and that is an important indicator for me --
and I can get it with the HS precision stock, rem action and easily adjusted trigger and a heavy barrel for about 100 less than the Win Coyote, and 200 less than the Browning stalker varminter ( both in 223 WSSM).

Interested in thoughts on evaluating a used varmint rifle - the bore looked pristine, the stock looks good, and massive -- a bit of aluminum bedding block shows under the tang of the Rem 700 short action ? good or bad. Can't touch the trigger or work the bolt without getting serious about unlocking the store's lock on the action.

Thanks too for the link to handloader - great information!

Harmless

Posts: 9 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 February 2004Reply With Quote