THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    My New Cooper Varminter in .223Rem

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My New Cooper Varminter in .223Rem
 Login/Join

<GeorgeInNePa>
posted
 -

Not bad at all. Does anyone know what the magic charge of H335 is in Cooper's ammo? I can't wait to try this rifle at the range. I might have to get up early on Thursday before work and get to the range for a break-in session.

-
 -

posted Hide Post
George,

You do realize that the Cooper Arms employee shot that group using a Leupold 36xBR scope in an indoor tunnel at a distance of 40yds, don't you?

That doesn't mean it won't shoot well; my Cooper Varminter .17 Mach IV shoots extremely well.

Did you get it from The Outdoorsman in Kingsley?

George

[ 03-18-2003, 21:23: Message edited by: GeorgeS ]

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Call Dan Pickett, he'll tell you the charge weight. BTW, their loaded ammo almost takes the fun out of handloading, it's very accurate.

Welcome to the fold.

Posts: 129 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
<GeorgeInNePa>
posted
GeorgeS,
Yes I got it at the Outdoorsman, I live about 10 miles from there.

I know they used a 36X Leupold(says it right there on the target [Wink] ) But I wasn't sure about the length of the tunnel, I thought it was 50yards.

JB,
Who is Dan Pickett? I assume he works for Cooper Firearms.

<Reloader 1>
posted
Nice gun George!not sure what bullets you plan to use but if you use 50-52gr pills with around 25gr of H335 every 223 that was accurate liked this load alot.I use factory brass not military so be carefull! AA2230 & Win 748 also give good results. Hope this helps and again nice gun George. [Big Grin]

<Phil>
posted
George,
I have the same rifle/caliber and spoke to the Cooper folks about loads - found them to be very helpful and pleasant on the phone. They suggested I start with 25.0gr of H335 with the 50gr BlitzKing and Federal 205M primers. It hasn't duplicated the factory test target, but then I'm not shooting at 40 yards in a tunnel. [Smile]

This load has turned in quite a few 5-shot groups averaging a little over .5" at 100 yards - which given my shooting skills is really quite remarkable. I'm going to try some Starke flat-base 50gr bullets next.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan's usually the guy I talk with for information at Cooper. No need to call Dan since Phil has already talked with them and gotten the load data.

You won't stop at one Cooper, there will be more in your future.

Posts: 129 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
<GeorgeInNePa>
posted
Thanks for the info Phil. Starting load:25gr of H335 with 50gr bullets. I have several hundred 50gr Nosler BT's I'm going to try. I couldn't find any Blitzkings locally, I'm going to order some. I might also try some Cooper ammo, The Outdoorsman has plenty in stock.

I also want to try some 40gr bullets. Anyone know the twist rate Cooper uses for their barrels?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless it's a special order, for the .223 it is 1 in 14".

one of us
posted Hide Post
George,

I havea VE 21 about 6 years old, and before I knew the twist (1:14)I went to the range with 55gr. Ballistic tips and about threw up as I was spraying 1.25" five shot groups at 100yds. I called Cooper in a panic, and learned about the twist and they said 52gr. was max weight. For my gun, the lighter the better. 27.5 gr of H335 under a 40gr. BT (moly) (Steve Timm from Varmint Hunter Assoc.) shoots sub .5 moa, and has produced numerous .25 moa 5 shots groups. Thus, I have darn near reproduced the 50yd 3 shot tunnel group size at 100yds outside with 5 shots!

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
<GeorgeInNePa>
posted
Thanks for the info guys. Roger, that's something to look forward to!

I can't wait to try this rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm way jealous!!! [Big Grin] That's a really nice lookin' set-up and will be a joy at the range!! Nothing like hittin' what you're aiming at. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote