THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Hard bolt close on .257 Rbts?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hard bolt close on .257 Rbts?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi folks,

I was wanting to see if someone had any insight on my .257 Rbts. I usually shoot factory Fed. 120 grain Nosler Partions or Hornady 117 gr. BTSP (I am not a handloader) but I picked up a box of Hornady Lt. Mag 117 gr. SST to try. I noticed that the bolt closes harder on the SST than the standard and the accuracy is not quite as good as with the Partitions and BTSPs. Any thoughts? Thanks

Posts: 214 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check to make sure you don't have any brass shavings on the face of the bolt.

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will try the marker trick. What would be the significance of the brass shavings on the bolt face? I have not had any trouble with any other factory round, including Federal 120 gr. Partitions and Rem. 117 gr. round noses.

Posts: 214 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
One thing you might try is to take a black magic marker and color the shoulder and bullet on one of the lt. mag 117s. Carefully chamber and extract the round. Look for scratch marks on the case and/or bullet. There is the rub.

Posts: 15 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 July 2004Reply With Quote