Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 700 - trigger guard ...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Maximus
posted
Just got the 700VS in the 223 cal, noticed the trigger guard is REAL cheap. I've heard it's aluminum, however it feels like plastic. Does anyone know if there's a aftermarket trigger guard assembly, made of real steel, which is a drop in replacement?

Thanks!

Posts: 94 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 09 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Out of curiosity, I checked in my Brownell's catalog, and found a couple steel trigger guards for your 700.
D.D. Ross makes one for the U.S.Marine sniper rifle, for $320. Badger Ordinance makes one for $299. Dakota Remington 700 Custom Steel Floorplates can be had for $239. Check them out at www.brownells.com .
Regards, George.

<9.3x62>
posted
Williams firearms company makes one milled from a solid block of steel. Very nice (I have a one). I would look no further than this product, will run you about $57. Here is the URL:

http://www.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/applications/esearch.exe/search

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a new ADLSynthetic and also noticed the trigger gaurd. Glad to hear it is aluminum. I can deal w/aluminum, but plastic trigger gaurd would be hard for me to live with.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aluminum is unacceptable in my opinion. It is easily broken and will compress under pressure. Replace it with steel.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck nelson posted

"Aluminum is unacceptable in my opinion. It is easily broken and will compress under pressure. Replace it with steel."

In over 30 years of big game hunting including horseback and backpack hunts in the mountains I have never personally witnessed an aluminum triggerguard break.As far as compressing,almost all conventional stock materials will compress more than aluminum.Perhaps that is why aluminum pillars are most commonly used for pillar bedding.That being said I would still prefer the triggerguard to be made of stainless steel and would accept the extra weight and cost if remington was to offer this as an option on their rifles.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO cast aluminum has no place on a hunting rifle it can and will break. I distinctly remember pulling the cast aluminum trigger on an A-bolt and then picking it off the ground. Head on over to the thread on Leupold QRW rings and notice the bashing cast aluminum bases take. Milled aluminum, especially aircraft grade, has never been a problem for me, but you don't have to look far to find detesters of 700 bottom metal and I am one of them.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote