New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady's .257 120gr HP
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Found a box of theses bullets from yester-year. What were these bullets designed for? Accurate? I would load them in a 257 Robts.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are hunting bullets designed for the 25-06 and similar cartridges. They were released by Hornady just a year or two after the 25-06 was made a factory round. They are very long and pointy so if your twist is a little slow they might not be the best for accuracy. The very pointy tip may bottom out in the end of the seating punch cavity resulting in crooked seating. The crooked seating is not the bullets fault but it is something you may need to be aware of. Roll your seated rounds on a smooth table top. If the bullet is crooked you will be able to see that long point wobble as it rolls.

In a good barrel seated properly they will shoot with satisfactory accuracy. With that said they never shot as well as 100 grain bullets in my rifle.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are still made and they are great bullets. They have be my go-to bullet for many years in a 257 AI. very accurate and excellent terminal performance. Hornady would tell you that they are designed for 25/06 and 257 WM velocities in mind. But they expand and penetrative well IME.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think I tried these in the 25/06Rem but tried a few other 120 grain bullets and with Ruger's 1/10" twist the only one that shot worth a hoot was the Speer SPBT. The Speers seemed to have a shorter bearing surface than the others. Most reloaders shooting off-the-shelf 25 cals stay under 110 grain bullets for this reason. I remember now, I tried the 117 grain Hornady Interlok bullets and they wouldn't stabilize in the Ruger.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load them in my 25'06 with 49gr of IMR 4350, .5-.75 groups in my rifle, no problems with a 1:10 twist barrel

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tom ga hunter:
I load them in my 25'06 with 49gr of IMR 4350, .5-.75 groups in my rifle, no problems with a 1:10 twist barrel

+1. They have been very accurate in a couple of 257s with 10" twist.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
I used one on this whitetail 2 years ago out of a 257R. High shoulder shot, zipped through both shoulders and dropped him dead on the spot.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I've used them in both a .25-06 and a .257 Roberts and think quite highly of them. They seem to perform as well as Nosler Partitions on game.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigNate:
I've used them in both a .25-06 and a .257 Roberts and think quite highly of them. They seem to perform as well as Nosler Partitions on game.

No higher praise can be given!!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1414 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just finnished doing a load in ,my 2506 with these bullets and 46gr of imr 4350, book says is is going 2800, but grouped in that 3/4 of and inch at 100 and less than 3" at 300. It is going on the antelope hunt next week.
Nosler partitions here in Canada are going for $49.99 for a box of 50 in 25 cal, rediculous. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigNate:

Seems I read somewhere that they were designed for elk with 257 Weatherby. Of course, that could be internet gack. They do have a reputation of being tough.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Before I tried the Barnes TSX bullets the Hornady 120 HP was the only bullet my 257 Wby would shoot accurately. It killed deer and antelope like a death ray.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My .257 Weatherby rifles love them. A few months ago I took out the Accumark with five different loads behind the 120 HPs. Every load tried grouped under 0.7 moa. They have killed deer and caribou very well indeed. They are all I use in my .257s.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote