New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Hornet on the way !
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have bought a 22 Hornet. Its a winchester Model#43. It mighyt be a week or two befor it shows up, but ,Its on the way.
I read the recent thread on the hornet, Very good info. Any one here have experence with the hornet inthe Wincester #43 ?
I am planing to buy winchester cases and RCBS dies , I have a ton of CCI small pistol primers.
I will likly get some Lil, gun and or VVN-110
Looking forward to reloading for somthing to pushes it bullet along a 3000ish with 11 or 12 grains of powder.
...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I used Lil Gun and the Hornady 35 gr V-Max with great success. I had a Browning Micro Hunter that shot under an inch and that load did a little over 3000 fps. I think the charge weight was 13.0 gr but it's been a while so please don't take that as fact.

Also, I strongly recommend the Lee Collet die for that case. Conventional dies over-work that thin brass and weak shoulder, in my opinion. I never got to try pistol primers; heard that one after I sold the rifle so I can't comment on that.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tommy,

Stay tuned - wanna hear some reports on your Winchester .22 Hornet.

Like tt related, one of our guys has a screamer .22 Hornet (high 2900's fps) load with L'il Gun and the Hornady 35 gr. V-Max's.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also use Lilgun powder in my Hornet. You'll find this to be a recurring theme: max charge of Lilgun, ignited by small pistol primers.

My coyote load is a 45gr Barnes XLC over 13.0gr Lilgun. Shoots at 2,900fps, and m.o.a.

Also, as has been suggested, get a Lee Collet die to neck size the brass.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woops !
The model 43, is a K-hornet. I some how missed the K on the add.
I am still planning to buy the rifle, but I am glad I didnyt order dies for it.
I think I will just shoot up some factory ammo , to form cases and get a neck sizing die set or mabye just send a couple fired cases to redding to make sure the die matches the chamber.
Dies for the K hornet run 78.00 from redding.
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a Ruger 77/22H in a 22k-hornet. I had the smith ream the k-hornet chamber and kept the factory barrel. My go to load is 12.5grs of H-110 with small pistol primers pushing a 35gr v-max. Velocity runs about 3150fps. MOA in my rifle and has accounted for dozens of wild hogs up to about 250lbs (head shots only). Congrats on the new purchase.

Posts: 56 | Location: Kona, Hawaii | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
accounted for dozens of wild hogs up to about 250lbs (head shots only).

Even so, a hogs head is BIG! I tried finishing off a red deer by shooting it below and behind the ear from a bit behind. That with 55gr bullets. It hardly shook it's head! Clearly I have no idea where the brain is located. I suppose the bullet did more damage than was visible and the animal was charged with adrenalin but still...

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My personal experience with the M43 is to load for accuracy, not max steam; the 43 is basically a rimfire action and is prone to headspace problems. If you need speeds near 3000, go to the .222Rem. I recently weighed a number of cases with four headstamps: the heaviest were RWS, next were R-P, then Super-speed and lightest were Super-X. All my head separation experiences were with SX cases. I'll weigh some S&B cases as soon as they're empty. Sako cases were the heaviest but I don't believe they're available anymore.

Bud W

One of Us
posted Hide Post
303, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that the k-hornet is ideal for medium to large game. It is not. I use this rifle to try to control the hogs on the family coffee farm. Most of the shots are in the 15 to 40 yard range. Due to the fact that there are other farms near by it requires the use of something small but yet powerful enough to get the job done. The k-hornet fit the bill for my circumstances. That being said, most pigs are in the 90lb - 150lb range. The 200lb and above are the exception rather than the rule. If the geographics were different, my choice is the 7mm-08.

Posts: 56 | Location: Kona, Hawaii | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Jones:
I have bought a 22 Hornet. Its a winchester Model#43

Tom, you'll enjoy your Winchester Model 43 Hornet. I've owned several Model 43's except the Hornet version. Currently I have a 43 in .25-20, but had one in 218 Bee and another in .32-20. IMHO this was the BEST rifle made for the small caliber mentioned! Good Luck with your Hornet! Smiler

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not saying that the k-hornet is ideal for medium to large game.

Understood. It's just amazing that such a tiny cartridge can actually get the job done! The performance that Lil'Gun gives to a standard hornet is astounding! Compared to 223 one day, penetration of a steel plate at various ranges showed a performance not too far behind. Way out of proportion to it's size. That's the fun part!

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I tried to buy that gun on AR classified, but the guy never answered any of my emails..Anyway good luck, all Hornets should be Imp. the brass lasts longer, the velocity is much better, and it puts less stress on the action than the factory Hornets do..and the Mod 43 and the Savage bolt guns just hold up better with the K versions.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a .218 BEE in the Winchester M43, it can shoot excellent OR terrible. It is really just a slightly oversized .22 rimfire action.
The trick to making the rifle shoot well is in adjusting the only screw that holds the barreled action to the stock-------located in the middle of the forearm.
I have found that if this screw is TOO tight the rifle won't shoot well------I back off this screw 1/8 to 1/4 " after tightening!

GOOD LUCK !
Hipshot

Posts: 1888 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:
I have a .218 BEE in the Winchester M43, it can shoot excellent OR terrible. It is really just a slightly oversized .22 rimfire action.
The trick to making the rifle shoot well is in adjusting the only screw that holds the barreled action to the stock-------located in the middle of the forearm.
I have found that if this screw is TOO tight the rifle won't shoot well------I back off this screw 1/8 to 1/4 " after tightening!

GOOD LUCK !
Hipshot

On your Model 43 Bee; try placing a piece or two of brown plastic tape midway inside the barrel channel. this wil improve your accuracy regardless of the front screw tention.

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Id suggest getting the Redding Bushing die with 2 bushings; .234 & .235". Both are needed to just neck size the cases. A Lee case mouth flairing die also helps keep you from crushing the very thin necks when seating bullets.

Don't hesitate to try the old calssic load of 11.5 gr H4227 under a 40 or 50 gr Sierra Hornet bullet with those SP primers. Velocity usually is 2550-2600 fps and accuracy is always excellent. This is what the Hornet was intended to be. Yes with Lil'Gun or H110 you can get another 250 fps but noise goes up. I found this standard classic load to give all that is needed within the Hornets capability.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
it puts less stress on the action than the factory Hornets do..and the Mod 43 and the Savage bolt guns just hold up better with the K versions

That's interesting. I had the idea that k-hornets tended to be run at higher pressure. I guess not.

I started out loading my hornet to the limit of where case stretch began (I made up series of loads then measured the case stretch of each. The then loaded just below the one that showed a small amount of stretch). Then I switched to head-spacing on the case mouth. Now all I do is square my cases and let them grow. They they reach 35.72mm and stay there. Even a case with the beginnings of head separation lasted many reloadings and still did not actually separate. (It's gone now - trial over).[QUOTE] ... Yes with Lil'Gun or H110 you can get another 250 fps but noise goes up .../QUOTE]Yes, a lot!!! Hence my suppressor!

Regards
303Guy