THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Question re restocking a Rem 700 LV SF

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question re restocking a Rem 700 LV SF
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen:

I have a Rem 700 LV SF that I bought late last year. It has had a trigger job and shoots 1.5" 5 shot groups at 100 yards with the bulk 55 grain softpoints I have used for barrel break-in and plinking, so I think it has accuracy potential. However, I do not like the factory stock at all. The wrist is long and flat such that if I have my hand comfortably positioned I have to reach/stretch for the trigger, or if I have good finger position on the trigger, I don't have a good grip on the gun.

So my questions are 1) has anyone restocked one of these and 2) if so, what did you use and did you like it?

Thank you in advance for the replies.

Regards,

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I understand you want a new feel for a stock but, if accuracy improvement is what your after the factory stock has some potential. Last year I removed the pressure points and opened the barrel channel on one of these stocks as well as did a bedding job. The rifle shot well after these mods.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your reply.

I'm actually wanting a new/different stock because I don't think I am shooting the rifle as well as I can given how I am gripping the stock/reaching for the trigger with the current stock's configuration. I have shorter/pudger fingers, and the flatter angle of the stock puts my hand far enough behind the trigger that I am reaching for it.

Does this make sense?

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You may want to try the stock that is on the VSSF II. It is a HS precision and feels great. I have two of them on my 700s and love them.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys.

LWD

One of Us
Picture of Johnny foreigner
posted Hide Post
I have just had my LVSF pillar bedded as the factory bedding (ally block) was not allowing the action to sit in the stock properly, the barrel was being forced over. I removed the two lugs at the front of the stock and removed some of the channel, then some more, and more. Problem was everything I removed, the barrel still sat in the base of the channel.
Gave up and got it bedded (and a Jewell trigger(ouch)) just waiting for it to return now.

DW

Posts: 156 | Location: UK Oxford | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I restocked a couple of my 700's with Boyds laminate stocks because I wanted the added weight and the cheek piece and I'm more than pleased with them. It appears they've renamed it because it was called the walking varminter.
Boyds Boys

I bought it unfinshed and semi inletted so I could finish it myself and it fits me perfectly.

Posts: 207 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That Boyd's stock is nice looking. I've not had any experience with them, so a good report is nice.

Thanks,

LWD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LWD:
That Boyd's stock is nice looking. I've not had any experience with them, so a good report is nice.

Thanks,

LWD

I have done about 15 or so Boyd's stocks.. I highly recommend them... they offer a good product at a very very reasonable price...

here are links to the last two that I did..
both on 223s... one on a Ruger action, and one on a Model 70 action.....

Ruger: http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2095745046

Model 70: http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2094168289

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote