New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22/6mm ???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone have any experience with this round...sometimes called the .224 TTH for Texas Trophy Hunter?

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
DB Bill- I have a 22/6mm that I built on a M700 with a 1:7 twist barrel throated for 80 gr Berger VLD,s. It's a pretty good round, Extremely accurate and bucks the wind really well. With 47 grs of Rl-22 I hit 3700 fps and the gun shoots in the .2's.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
DBBill,

I have one of these built on a Win 70 SA. It has a Douglas bbl with a 1 in 8 twist. It shoots 75 grain AMAX's into 0.5 to 0.75" @ 100 yards. RL-22 47.5 grains gives me 3500 fps in a 26" barrel and I could probably get close to or maybe over 3700 fps if I kept adding powder. These are a snap to load--just run a 6mm Rem case into the FL sizer and you're ready to prime and load. I usually take this rifle with me when I take out one of my 40+ caliber rifles--really can help cure flinching if it develops. I will use it on deer next month. This is a very fun and pleasant cartridge with which to mess!

Good Hunting,

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Hey Fellas
I was reading an old article in Handloader yesterday about the 22 and 6mm PPC and they were using the 22 on a 243 case as straw man.
According to the article the 22/243 doesn't have the same potential accuracy as the PPC line of cartidges, and burns barrels etc.
I have pondered making ne of these up as I have the free worlds supply of 243 brass from my 243 experimenting days. I got cast bullets up 3,000 fps with accuracy. I lost interest and gave the rifle to my son-in-law.
Please tell me more I need something keep me busy during Virginia's piddling winter.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DB Bill if you go to Google and type in .224 Texas Trophy Hunter you will find all kinds of info. Also a year ago or so Handloader had an article on this round. Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike Anderson>
posted
Back to the post on PPC versus 22/243, the article favored the PPC for accuracy. I view it possible but would not make a major case of it. I belive that will come to shooters skill level not the capability of the round.

I can tell you at 100 yards there would be no difference. The test would have to be performed at distance.

I really think it will come to how the gun is built. Who does it and what components.

Mike

<Kimmo E>
posted
5,6*57rws is a factory round based on 7*57case just like 6mm rem. A factory round will have a much better secondhand value.RWS factory load 4,8g 1040m/s.

one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
Arkypete.....check out the numbers on the 22/243 middlestead at the accurate arms website...or the 22/284....Parent Cartridge: OtherC .22-284
Bore Diameter: 224 Case Length:
Brass: Norma norma 6.5-.284
Powder: OtherP RL-25
Charge: 53.0 GR.
Primer: F215MGold
Bullet: Sierra Weight: 80 GR. Velocity: 3755
Firearm: blueprinted Rem 700 Shilen select match Barrel Length: 29.5"
Comments: Put down your .30-378! This gun outshoots it at 1000 yards and uses half the powder! 3.5"-6" groups at 1000 yards common!

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
YES, this cartridge has been around for almost a century now!! The original edition of it was called the .22 Newton which used a .228" bullet, and was made on a necked-down 7X57mm Mauser case, just like the 6mm Remington is!! (Also, over 100 years ago, there was a 6X57mm Mauser!!)The Newton was also a fast-twist caliber that shot heavy-for-caliber bullets, so it was almost identical to this "new invention"!!! [Razz]

one of us
posted Hide Post
A guy by the name of Lonnie Hummel, who works for Hornady Bullets in Grand Island, NE. was on the ground floor with this cartridge about 40 years ago. He has shot out more barrels than most guys will ever own. He is a good shot and a great guy, give him a call and he will be more than happy to help you. 308/382-1390.

Good Hunting, "Z"

Posts: 352 | Location: Grand Island, NE. USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote