Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Triggers Jewell or Timney
 Login/Join

posted
I just bought a Rem 700 VSSF II .204 with the X-Mark trigger have shot about 60 rounds. A gunsmith tested the pull weight 5 time and got 5 diff reading from 2lb 14oz thru 4lb 4oz?? Will be using for varmint hunting. I know the Jewell is about $200 and Timney about $100. Looking for coments and suggestion on what to do.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There may be other models but my take is that the Jewell is a benchrest trigger. Mine is 2oz. The Timney however is more of a better hunting trigger than comes standard on the many rifles. It can be adjusted to a heavier pull, but still crisp.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there is Jewell, and anything else...

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Jewell makes a hunting M700 trigger that adusts from 1.5-4.5 and includes a safety. While the Jewell is the cherry for a varmint rifle I could live with the Timney. Apply the extra towards my next hunting trip.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a Timney on my 03-A3 sporter for fourty years with total satisfaction. As a hunter trigger, or even a casual high-power competition trigger it is as good as any.

My old Remington 700 trigger is also fine, now, but if I wasn't satisfied I'd sure go to Timney for a replacement.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
For a hunting rifle I prefer a Timney. I used to visit their shop in west Phoenix fairly often, had a fair number of chats with "the bosses" in the early 80's,just after they bought the firm, and was quite impressed with the care they gave every trigger...including lapping the parts to a very close relationship.

I still have a few Timney triggers that I have used in Sporters since the very early /60's too, and they have still never failed me.

I am NOT dis'ing the Jewell triggers, of any model. I currently have 6 Jewell triggers in benchrest guns and for that application, they are THE BERRIES. But I do have to completely disassemble the Jewells for a thorough cleaning about every year or two of competition. I have never had to do that with the Timneys, with their different-than-Jewell geometry and heavier pulls.

Neither would be undesirable to me in a hunting rifle, but my preferences would be Timney-Hunter, Jewell-BR.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Timneys.
I've had good luck with Timneus for a lot of years. I just installed two in rifles I have, and the pulls are crisp and set right where I want them as far as weight of pull goes.
And, they are a whole lot less expensive than Jewell's. I have two target rifles with Jewell triggers set at 2 oz each.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
On hunting rifles on the M700, I prefer the Shilen trigger. The TImeny is "OK" and definitely better than factory, but the Jewel is a lot better. Of course, the Jewel costs a lot more too! Depends on how particular you are as to which is best for you. ANy of these 3 should make you happy.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends a lot on what pull weight you are looking for. I you want to go below 1-1.5 lbs, then your only option is the Jewell, and a fantastic option that is (even if it comes at a price).

I you are happy with a pull of 1.5+ lbs, then the Timney is a viable option. A friend who produces custom rifles, and thus sees quite a few guns go through the shop, has been happy with the Timneys they use - apparently there is some new internal coating (?) on the Timneys which supposedly has improved them.

If you are a purist, the 3 lever design of the Jewell is superior to the 2 lever design of the Timney. The Jewell can be and is a superb trigger, but at half the price a Timney may offer you good service as well. I personally own 6 Jewells and plan on more - price be damned.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I've got 4 Timney triggers and I like them. About a year ago I ponied up the $200+ and bought a Jewell hunting trigger (safety version) for a 700 Ti. Man, talk about a difference! I don't know if it was worth the extra $$$ and I have no plans on changing all the Timney's for Jewell's but I will say the Jewell is a lot more crisp and just feels better than any Timney I've ever tried (as it should considering the price Wink).

I would advise if you have the extra cash, try a Jewell. If you don't the Timney is a great 2nd choice.

Never tried a Shilen, but I've heard a lot of good things about them to.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:

Never tried a Shilen, but I've heard a lot of good things about them to.

Terry

I also still have three or four Shilen BR triggers, but after several years of trying them in various rifles do not like them for that application. Have never tried any Shilens other than their BR model, so the sporter versions may be great so far as I know.

I HAVE tried Rifle Basix, and Moyers triggers too, amongst others. Am thoroughly satisfied with the light-pull RifleBasix for Remingtons; desipite its relatively inexpensive price it seems to be very soundly made and mine works very well.

An "ex-friend" blowhard who is always bragging about his expertise on triggers and bedding, worked over the trigger in my 77/22Mag Ruger and converted it into a thoroughly undependable, inconsistent, & unsafe trigger.

So I bought a Moyers drop-in assembly for the 77/22M from Brownell's. Works absolutely great!! Light, crisp pull, safety still works well, and no particular skill required to install it. So, I think I can recommend those fairly safely.

The one trigger by Jewell which I cannot recommend is the one for the AR-15. Amongst my nearby friends who are High Master-rated "Distinguished" high-power shooters, all three have tried Jewells in their competitive AR-15s and all prefer other makes which they have afterwards switched to. Not being a person with very much knowledge about tweaking the ARs, I can't tell you exactly why they don't care for them, but no one I have spoken to in the high-power mouse-gun game seems to prefer them. YMMV, I just can't recommend them at this point.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is not a hunting rifle, it is a varmint rifle which equals target rifle.

Jewell all the way.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem with a Jewell is that once you buy one, you will want to replace the trigger in every other rifle that you own.

Posts: 283 | Location: SW Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Not being a trigger aficianado and never having even SEEN a Jewell much less used one I can't really reccommend between the two. But having used Timney triggers almost exclusively since gunsmith school in the early 50's I can certainly highly reccomend them. In fact the only other trigger I have EVER used is a Dayton-Traister. I'm about Timneys as I am about Nosler Partitions-- If it does the job well and the price is reasonable why change.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Just buy the Jewell. You will not be unhappy. I bought a new 700, adjusted to 2 lbs. went shooting, seemed to pull hard, checked, was back to 4.5 lbs. adjusted again to 2 lbs., went shooting, checked when back home, 3.5 lbs. ordered a Jewell and have not looked back. Had trouble with Timney in a Model 70, might have been the smith, Winchester fixed for free, new safety and striker and my old 70 trigger, works great now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
It depends a lot on what pull weight you are looking for. I you want to go below 1-1.5 lbs, then your only option is the Jewell, and a fantastic option that is (even if it comes at a price).

I you are happy with a pull of 1.5+ lbs, then the Timney is a viable option. A friend who produces custom rifles, and thus sees quite a few guns go through the shop, has been happy with the Timneys they use - apparently there is some new internal coating (?) on the Timneys which supposedly has improved them.

If you are a purist, the 3 lever design of the Jewell is superior to the 2 lever design of the Timney. The Jewell can be and is a superb trigger, but at half the price a Timney may offer you good service as well. I personally own 6 Jewells and plan on more - price be damned.

- mike

+1 thumb

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trigger control is the font of field accuracy on game. Trigger pull quality is my number one concern in a hunting rifle.

Timney is excellent but only the Jewell has that incredible consistancy from the first to last release. Most 'normal' triggers lose a couple of ounces which can be disconcerting.

The ease of fitting and self adjustment plus safety is worth the extra money but a number of smiths feel that Jewell quality is down on previous years and strip, blueprint and reassemble as a result.

Mine is standard, set at 1.7lbs and is a pleasure.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by acera:
... A gunsmith tested the pull weight 5 time and got 5 diff reading from 2lb 14oz thru 4lb 4oz?? Will be using for varmint hunting. ...
Hey Acera, Nothing wrong with going to an aftermarket Trigger if that is what you want. It is nice to be aware that some are a bit "fragile" and you can end up with Springs where they shouldn't be and the rifle inoperative.

If the GunSmith "mentioned" he could Tune the Remington Trigger for $25-$35, I'd recommend you have him do it. If he did not "mention" he could Tune it, then I'd recommend you locate a real GunSmith.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would also go with the adjusted Rem trigger for hunting. My break at 2.5 lb all day. I have Jewell on a target rifle and it is real nice but I have not shot a better score with it than I did with the Rem trigger. If you want to blow some money, go ahead but it sure is not necessary.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote