Notify
Tools

50gr VMax for 22K Hornet
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted
Hi Guys,

I currently use a 22K Hornet with 40gr VMax bullets for calling jackal.

I have a lot of runners after being shot with the load.

My self imposed limit is 150m for jackal. I have had bang flops at that range and runners at 50m.

Would the 50gr VMax perform better?

The rifle like VMax bullets getting sub MOA groupings at 100m.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Gerhard

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Several of the coyote hunters I speak with here in the USA have noticed a similiar failure of the 40 grain v-max with the standard hornet. The coyotes usually weigh between 15-40 pounds and are shot at similar distances. The bullet failures seem to be related to heavy bone strikes stopping vital area penetration. That is not a dismissal of the bullet or cartridge. Several shooters have moved to the Speer 40 grain soft point as a solution. Hope this helps. Good shooting.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had quite a few runners (coyotes) using the 40gr Vmax and Nosler BT out of my Hornet. I found the 45gr softpoint, not the 45gr Hornet sp, worked better. I now use the Barnes 45gr XLC exclusively for coyotes in my Hornet. This bullet really makes a difference. You might try the Barnes, if you can get them.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the info,

I have 45gr PMP sp that I will load and test them later in the week.

K-22hornet did you get any fur damage with the 45gr sp's?

Gerhard

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fur damage is almost a non-issue with the Hornet, especially using a sp designed for faster calibers.

What powder are you using? Can you get Hogdon Lilgun in SA ?

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately I am only stuck with our local Somchem powder. Would love to be able to get hold of Lilgun.

Will have to chrono the 45gr sp but they will be nowhere as fast as what you guys get with Lilgun.

Gerhard

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a 40gr vmax out of a 222rem starting out at 3,400fps. The first fox I shot was at 180yards As the trigger broke the fox died - wow I was impressed.

When I recovered the fox I could find the exit wound but not the entry. Also the exit was on the wrong side - I could not believe it had turned as I had seen it die in the scope.

To get to the bottom of it I skinned it (ugh). The large exit (3" in diameter) was in fact the entry - there were shards of jacket under the skina large whole in the ribs and not even shrapnel marks inside on the far side of the ribcage. This was across a flat field with no vegetation etc in the way.

For me this was the ultimate safe foxing tool but for a larger animal it would be very likely to cause wounding. The impact velocity would only have been about 2,600fps so even with a hornet it would be extremely expansive.

Conversely I have shot roe deer (live weight approx 45-60lbs) in controlled conditions with the 50gr Vmax and the 50gr TNT launched at approx 3,100fps. Both types of bullets have exited on chest shots even having hit ribs - the deer died.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the price, Sierra's little 40 grain HP is a lot better killer in my opinion than the 40 grain V Max, and the 40 grain Nosler....

I also have a lot of faith in the 50 grain Speer TNT....lethal and as accurate as any plastic tipped bullets... at a much more wallet friendly price...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The Calhoon 37 grain HP (big open point) atop 14 grains of little gun are brutal on coyotes @ < 150 yards. All Calhoon bullets upset well on varmits. They do not have the best BC's but the bullets are devastating on critters.

Calhoon bullets

Posts: 2 | Location: illinois, where corn grows tall, & coyotes run scared | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by klock:
The Calhoon 37 grain HP (big open point) atop 14 grains of little gun are brutal on coyotes @ < 150 yards. All Calhoon bullets upset well on varmits. They do not have the best BC's but the bullets are devastating on critters.

Calhoon bullets

Calhoons are not available across the counter in most locals... .but ordering direct, they are reasonable on price.. and I definitely second their performance that Klock mentions...

That little 37 grain HP is a sweet heart in my 223s.. and it is a longer bullet that a lot of the 40 grain bullets...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote