THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Win 257 Rob brass discontinued!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win 257 Rob brass discontinued!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've had Winchester 257 Roberts brass on my Midwayusa want list forever. I got an email from Midway today saying it has been discontinued. Last I'd heard it was on "seasonal runs". Sucky news Frowner

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that would piss off the Good Humor Man!

I learned many years ago, if I were building anything not mainstream, to buy a couple hundred cases at the same time.

Now it is starting to sound like even some of the classics are in danger due to the bean counters...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
Sound advice. I try to pick up a couple bags of Remington 257R and 350 Rem Mag whenever they have a seasonal run. Seems like the "seasons" run every few years now.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
I've had Winchester 257 Roberts brass on my Midwayusa want list forever. I got an email from Midway today saying it has been discontinued. Last I'd heard it was on "seasonal runs". Sucky news Frowner

All that means is that Midway doesn't want to keep an old order active any longer, and perhaps that WW has dropped that caliber from their price list. Lots of different calibers of brass have been "discontinued" in effect since the brass mills have been humping it to turn out enough brass for the more popular calibers. It is likely that eventually they will get caught up and retool to make more of their "seasonal" runs (seasonal being winter, spring, summer, or fall, depending on which of the seasons every half-dozen years or so that they happen to make the run Wink ).

In the meantime, buy some 7x57. One run through the .257 FL die does it.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:

I was curious about that. Any issues with neck thickness?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I received an email from MIDWAY yesterday saying that Winchester 22 Hornet brass was discontinued.

It just means that MIDWAY will stop listing the brass for sale,nothing more.

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Got the same email. Will have to use 7x57 brass if I need to make more 257R.
Scott, haven't done this before but have made lots of 270 brass from -06 with no neck thickness issue. Same .030 reduction in diameter so I wouldn't expect to run into any problem going from 284 to 257.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I talked with the Winchester ammunition representative at the Great Outdoor Show about various caliber shortages/ discontinues, etc. He showed me that all were still being made that I wasn't shopping at the right place. I told him Midway, Brownell's, Grafs, and Cabelas didn't even list half of what he said was available. He suggested the big distributors and gave me a few in PA: Ron Shirk, Ellet Bros (Jerry's) among others.

I know that 257 Roberts and 375 H&H were both included in that discussion.

For the record I got the same email from Midway and took it with a grain of salt. I also know that a year or three ago I called Midway and others on why they dropped certain ammo/reloading items. They told me tha they just quit listing them as they were getting too many calls about availability and the resupply being so sporadic.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
add 218 bee to the "midway list".

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Add .225 Winchester. I got the same email, but specifying .225 Win.

I'm fine for the foreseeable future, but if I were not, AFAIK, there isn't any "parent case" that I could build .225s from.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:

All that means is that Midway doesn't want to keep an old order active any longer, and perhaps that WW has dropped that caliber from their price list. Lots of different calibers of brass have been "discontinued" in effect since the brass mills have been humping it to turn out enough brass for the more popular calibers. It is likely that eventually they will get caught up and retool to make more of their "seasonal" runs (seasonal being winter, spring, summer, or fall, depending on which of the seasons every half-dozen years or so that they happen to make the run Wink ).

That thought occurred to me too, but how long has it been since WW made 300 and 375 H&H brass, 458 Win, and a few others that were once regular items. I hope they bring back Bob brass, but I'm not holding my breath. Making Bob brass from 7x57 is not always that easy. I screwed up several cases when I first tried it. A tiny dab of imperial sizing die wax did the trick with my RCBS dies, but regular case lube was useless. I suppose other folks results will vary, but that was my experience.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
I think that if you got with Graf or PRVI direct you'd find out what it would take to get a batch made. After that star selicting orders to meet their min. run.I'd bet that orders for 50,000 Plus cases could be gotte with a little effort. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottfromdallas:
quote:

I was curious about that. Any issues with neck thickness?

Typically, commercial chambers are on the large side, so using something like 7x57 necked to .257 usually makes a little better fit in the neck area rather than being too thick. Of course, it all depends on your particular chamber, but in my experience using .30-06 for .280 and .25-06 and .308 to .243 I've had no problems with the necks being too thick. I do have a custom-chambered .20 Vartarg which needs the brass thinned in the neck area when using necked down .221 Fireball brass, but as I say, it is a custom chamber.

A judicious application of Imperial Wax, or even an oil supplement like STP or Motor Honey, will allow you to easily resized 7x57 to .257 with no more effort than resizing once-fired .257's. That assumes that you start with virgin brass which does not have work-hardened necks. Used brass may very well need to be annealed before the neck-down process. But caution: I've seen annealed brass so soft that it will collapse instead of flow in the die.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We will always have PPU brass in 7x57, one pass thru the 257 die and bingo. To hell with Winchester and Remington, they are slowing throwing us under the bus, one caliber at a time. The only way to handle those bastards is to refuse to buy any product they have..It works as they only understand one way of thinking and that's the almighty dollar..Hit'em where it hurts and they will comply. We have the power, use it.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All good ideas that will work OR you could buy Nosler brass from Grafs !

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got the same message about the 358 win brass I had on watch. Oh well, guess I'll continue to give my money to Hornady.

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm glad I bought a couple hundred Rem cases when Cabela's had them last summer.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Yeah seems like Midway is dropping the ball on a lot of products.Ordered a set of moulds for my 25-20 but they did'nt have the sizing die or top punch.Called RCBS but new company policy is not to sell direct.Ended up getting the last 2 from Graf.There have been several items over the last couple of years that Midway was advertising but then did'nt have in stock + would not in the future.I know they make a big deal about the money they send to the NRA + that's great,but really,it's OUR money through donations.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just received "the message" for the Remington 257R and 350 Rem Mag cases.

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
The message from Midway I received was discontinuing .45-70 in nickel plate.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
With the exception of .225 WCF, Graf & Son is listing all the rest as available. Hornady or Nosler.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can use 6mm rem.brass and it should work well.

Joe

Posts: 1111 | Location: Blooming Grove, Tx. | Registered: 28 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lapua is plentiful.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 16Bore:
Lapua is plentiful.

At more than a dollar per piece, lapua and nosler are certainly available, trouble is most folks do want to pay a dollar per brass...FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fasteel:
quote:
Lapua is plentiful.

At more than a dollar per piece, lapua and nosler are certainly available, trouble is most folks do want to pay a dollar per brass...FS

Nosler is insanely high on their prices. $1.50 a piece for 257R and $2.08 a piece for 350 Rem Mag.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Its not midway, its Win. and Rem, they are going out of the component business, as its not a money maker..The sale of ammo is where the big bucks are or so Im told by those in the know. There is on the plate at both to continue to make such components for new calibers such as the Creedmore and of course that helps sell the caliber but they will drop you in the dirt when it slows down in sales ala the 5MM,, and the high sellers such as the 270 and 30-06 and probably the 30-30, but even that is up in the air for now...

However, I see Hornady, Jamison and PPU, jumping in on that market and taking up a lot of slack. Even with some of the old calibers like the .348 and 250 savage and others..We need to support these guys and leave the magnates to their own destructive ventures. so there! Smiler

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Henderson:
You can use 6mm rem.brass and it should work well.

Joe

Nope! The head space is different. I unwittingly tried it and ended up with a two piece case and humbly thanking Paul Mauser for making such a great action. Not recommended.

Posts: 10168 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Its not midway, its Win. and Rem, they are going out of the component business, as its not a money maker..The sale of ammo is where the big bucks are or so Im told by those in the know. There is on the plate at both to continue to make such components for new calibers such as the Creedmore and of course that helps sell the caliber but they will drop you in the dirt when it slows down in sales ala the 5MM,, and the high sellers such as the 270 and 30-06 and probably the 30-30, but even that is up in the air for now...

However, I see Hornady, Jamison and PPU, jumping in on that market and taking up a lot of slack. Even with some of the old calibers like the .348 and 250 savage and others..We need to support these guys and leave the magnates to their own destructive ventures. so there! Smiler

+1. What he said. Unfortunately, trying to get the buyer's to boycott the major manufacturers will be difficult because the vast hunter majority a) don't frequent the forums and b) are the hunt once-a-year types who buy a box of ammunition and use that same box for a coupla' years.

As for the high priced brass that is available: economics will dictate brass production. Popular calibers, because of their high ownership numbers, get produced first. Less popular calibers come in last. In choosing a caliber before making a purchase, one might want to consider all this and the realization that he/she may one day face limited brass supply and higher costs. And why I no longer own my 260 Rem. GREAT caliber but, IMO, not worth the reloading hassles. YMMV. :-)

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TASK1:
And why I no longer own my 260 Rem. GREAT caliber but, IMO, not worth the reloading hassles. YMMV. :-)

I havent owned a 243 for years, so I just use 243 brass to load my 260.

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10168 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
quote:
And why I no longer own my 260 Rem. GREAT caliber but, IMO, not worth the reloading hassles. YMMV. :-)

Glad that works for ya'......muy advantages to the 6.5's. Sure am likin' it's replacement in my gun safe though, a 25-06. As for bigger game like the 6.'5's "might" handle better, I have other rifles for those tasks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is why, when I bought my niece a 260 Remington, I bought 250 cases.

I don't mind paying a bit extra for LAPUA brass. Basically, it is much better quality, and lasts a lot longer.

The best way to deal with issues like this is to send them a polite letter and let them know why you will be buying components from another company.

Letter is much harder to ignore than an Email...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seamaster:
I received an email from MIDWAY yesterday saying that Winchester 22 Hornet brass was discontinued.

It just means that MIDWAY will stop listing the brass for sale,nothing more.

Bruno's has Hornet in stock.
They just got a big shipment of Winchester brass.
http://www.brunoshooters.com/product/21067.html

Mark

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fasteel:
quote:
Lapua is plentiful.

Forgive me for commenting on something you said in April, but I didn't notice it then.

That attitude is, I think, shortsighted.

Just think of what the bullet itself costs you, and once you've squeezed the trigger it's gone, whereas good brass can last for many loadings (I know back in RSA in the 80's with sanctions and all, my dad would reload his few mixed .30-06 cases - mostly range pickups up to 15 times) - now that's a lot of usage out of the same component.

OK the projectile is the most important part of gathering the meat / hitting the target, whatever - but the case is the most important part of keeping the shooter safe from hot gases.

Just an alternate viewpoint - and before anyone asks - no I DON'T like the idea of paying more than I absolutely have to, either.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which would readily explain why I have a lathe, hundreds of pounds of lead and linotype and a crate full of molds. Admittedly that level of handloading isn't for everyone but if I can't find it I can make it!!! Cool

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes it does blow the proverbial "big horn" which is why when Rem dropped their 170gr SJHP in .410 I doubled up on the stock pile of the 200 and 210's. I have enough Starline cases to take me to my maker and then some.

As for the rifle cases, well I just had a .260 built. I could have simply used some of the pounds of either .243 or .308 I have sitting around here, but I felt that this one was just a bit close to be screwing with, having the grandkids using those rifles as well. So I did just like Sharpeshooter did and picked up several hundred Lapua cases with the correct headstamp on them. Least this way when I am done and gone they will have the proper things to work with, instead of wondering "IF" these are for this or the other rifle.

Of course I have all included data with each and every box I load, but things happen and I would hate to think what would happen if one of them shoved something in the wrong rifle. Granted it SHOULDN'T fit the .243, but if it happened to, not good.

Like mentioned I doubt that over the next 5-10 years I will ever notice the extra I paid for the good brass, especially shooting them as often as we do. I have only planned for one or two loads form this rifle and it is for hunting, so it will see limited yearly use.

Mike / Tx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mke / Tx:
Yes it does blow the proverbial "big horn" which is why when Rem dropped their 170gr SJHP in .410 I doubled up on the stock pile of the 200 and 210's. I have enough Starline cases to take me to my maker and then some.

As for the rifle cases, well I just had a .260 built. I could have simply used some of the pounds of either .243 or .308 I have sitting around here, but I felt that this one was just a bit close to be screwing with, having the grandkids using those rifles as well. So I did just like Sharpeshooter did and picked up several hundred Lapua cases with the correct headstamp on them. Least this way when I am done and gone they will have the proper things to work with, instead of wondering "IF" these are for this or the other rifle.

Of course I have all included data with each and every box I load, but things happen and I would hate to think what would happen if one of them shoved something in the wrong rifle. Granted it SHOULDN'T fit the .243, but if it happened to, not good.

Like mentioned I doubt that over the next 5-10 years I will ever notice the extra I paid for the good brass, especially shooting them as often as we do. I have only planned for one or two loads form this rifle and it is for hunting, so it will see limited yearly use.

Very well said Mike.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
quote:

Glad that works for ya'......muy advantages to the 6.5's. Sure am likin' it's replacement in my gun safe though, a 25-06.

I can relate to that. I would rather see my 260 go down the road than the Bob. But I do have them set up for different purposes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a reason to own a small lathe. 7X10 or 7X12 for making cases or reamers to make dies. I neck size only on most calibers. I have made a study using these small lathes and how to make neck reamers for the inside of case necks. You can learn to operate these small lathes by looking at several sights on the internet. $500 is not much to pay for a small lathe which can be used to make so many things. I used a small lathe to make several small caliber rifles. The Show and Tell Stockmaker article has the last rifle made using a 7X12 mini lathe. It shot groups down to .300 inch with reloading dies made with the mini lathe. Search for the article on the AR site and read about using these small lathes on page 5 of the article.

Les Brooks

Les Brooks, retired gunsmith

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LesBrooks:
Just a reason to own a small lathe. 7X10 or 7X12 for making cases or reamers to make dies. I neck size only on most calibers. I have made a study using these small lathes and how to make neck reamers for the inside of case necks. You can learn to operate these small lathes by looking at several sights on the internet. $500 is not much to pay for a small lathe which can be used to make so many things. I used a small lathe to make several small caliber rifles. The Show and Tell Stockmaker article has the last rifle made using a 7X12 mini lathe. It shot groups down to .300 inch with reloading dies made with the mini lathe. Search for the article on the AR site and read about using these small lathes on page 5 of the article.

Les Brooks

Les Brooks, retired gunsmith

Les,

I wish I could. No, really, I wish I could. But I’m one of those who likely won’t ever have your skills. I’m a self-employed, successful businessman who failed Shop class and had to be tutored to get through all his math classes. Try as I might, I am not good with tools. I am, however, excellent with a sledgehammer and a crowbar. I wish I were closer to you as I would enjoy watching you work the lathe. A good suggestion, I very much enjoyed your post Les.

Cheers

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was surprised by the Lapua offerings. I love their brass, but their selection is limited. They do not list any 25 caliber for brass. Looking for 257 and 25-06, that kind of handicaps me. Not to mention, they no longer list 7x57 to make them from.

Guess its Nosler or Hornady. Not comfortable yet necking down Lapua 30-06 to 25-06, but guess I could do it.

Shame, love the 25's but they are overlooked alot anymore.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. --- Greek Proverb

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote