THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    My New 6X47 Stevens 200! AKA 6-222 RM Targets Added!

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My New 6X47 Stevens 200! AKA 6-222 RM Targets Added!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well I got my rifle put together today, well kind of anyway. I still got to put a scope on and put a finish of some sort on the metal. Probaby a matte black Gunkote but it doesn't look half bad right now for a walking varmint rifle. Hopefully she shoots as good as she looks right now.

Stevens Stock painted forest green.
SinArms 20" chrome moly barrel 1:12 twist (For Bobby)
Sharp Shooter Supply Competition recoil lug and trigger, as well as their Tac Knob.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
clapEnjoy thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Very nice -- and in a mild-mannered, efficient cartridge that you are sure to enjoy... thumb

What twist rate did you go with?

Can't wait to see your range reports, too!

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevmavrick
posted Hide Post
I Like it...but, if I were going to the trouble of using a Savage action for a custom rifle, I'd remove the one feature that takes "pride of ownership" from the gun. The barrel nut.
Ya can cut the barrel extension off then tap the inside of the action, and cut a barrel to match those threads. You've already swapped out everything else. (trigger, too?)
The barrel nut system is there for ease of mass production, not esthetics.
Let us know how it shoots. I'm waiting for a field report, too.
Have fun,
Gene

Posts: 150 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Nevmavrick wrote:
quote:
but, if I were going to the trouble of using a Savage action for a custom rifle, I'd remove the one feature that takes "pride of ownership" from the gun. The barrel nut.

To say the Savage barrel nut diminishes "pride of owenrship" is simply ludicrous. Some value a gun on actual merit -- as in how well it shoots. Functionality and utility are part of the equation as well.

Granted, there is nothing wrong in being proud of the cosmetics of a rifle. But stocking it with 2K worth of exhibition grade wood and a fluted, gold-plated barrel isn't going to matter the least bit on the target range or in the varmint fields.

Some folks -- myself included -- care much more about the end-result and not so much about superficial features.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nevmavrick:
The barrel nut system is there for ease of mass production, not esthetics.

Well I bought the rifle specificaly because it has a barrel nut! I wanted to be able to try different things from time to time as well as put back on the .223 barrel if I wanted. The barrel nut helps me to facilitate the process as I'm not a gunsmith. I'm just a guy who wants to tinker.

I would never have used a Savage action for the basis of a build for a full blown custom work of art rifle. However the utility of it works nicely for a gun that is going to get beat up riding in a pickup, atv or horse around the ranch. While it may not be a dream custom rifle at least I can say I assembled it myself, for whatever worth that is to anyone else.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
taylorce1 wrote:
quote:
However the utility of it works nicely for a gun that is going to get beat up riding in a pickup, atv or horse arond the ranch. While it may not be a dream custom rifle at least I can say I assembled it myself, for whatever worth that is to anyone else.

Well stated -- and something most of us can relate to. thumb

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
taylorce1 wrote:
quote:
However the utility of it works nicely for a gun that is going to get beat up riding in a pickup, atv or horse arond the ranch. While it may not be a dream custom rifle at least I can say I assembled it myself, for whatever worth that is to anyone else.

fishing
X2 or more beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Please let me know how that shoots. I have the same rifle (Stevens 200 in 223), and have been contemplating the EXACT same barrel and caliber. I already have a great supply of 222 Rem mag brass and 6x47 dies. I also already have a Contender carbine bbl in 6x47. I'm looking for using it for walking and calling 'yotes, and a little more "smack" than the 223.

I also like the idea of being able to swap my own barrels without a machine shop in my garage. Pretty is as pretty does. I make no illusions about the Savage/Stevens being "pretty", but they sure do shoot.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Feeling a little rushed since I just didn't have the time I wanted today to mess with the rifle. Since I spent all day yesterday bedding my .25-06 in a new stock. Anyway I got about three hours today to load up some rounds and take my rifle out to shoot. Loaded everything with 55 gr Nosler BT, H335, CCI 400, and RP Brass, loaded to Mag length. I did all my shooting off of a portable bench at 50 yards, and was fighting a 15mph wind at about 75 degrees. I think when I get to spend more time with the rifle I'll be able to improve these groups especially when I can get to a good bench with sandbags.

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pics. It looks like you've had better luck with the Nosler varmint BT's than me, I've never been able to get them to shoot near as good for me as the Hornady v-max's. That 29 gr load looks like a keeper. Is your brass already fire formed, or is this it's first firing as a 6x47? Mine seemed to tighten up a little after fire forming. I'm also using Rem 7 1/2 primers instead of CCI's.

I'm not sure I would touch a thing with that 29.0 load, maybe load up a larger batch of same, but fire formed brass and run with that.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slowpoke Slim:
Thanks for the pics. It looks like you've had better luck with the Nosler varmint BT's than me, I've never been able to get them to shoot near as good for me as the Hornady v-max's. That 29 gr load looks like a keeper. Is your brass already fire formed, or is this it's first firing as a 6x47? Mine seemed to tighten up a little after fire forming. I'm also using Rem 7 1/2 primers instead of CCI's.

I'm not sure I would touch a thing with that 29.0 load, maybe load up a larger batch of same, but fire formed brass and run with that.

All first loads in necked up brass, I'm hoping they will tighten up as well. Plus my bench wasn't the best, using one of those Big Game portables with the "V" shaped cradle to support the stock and no rear bag. I'll defiantly be working on the 29 grain load, as well as playing with seating depth. I loaded everything just to fit in the magazine.

One thing on the taper of the barrel if you go with the same contour, have Devin add at least an extra .5" of thread before he starts the taper. I almost ran out of theads before I headspaced. Next time I might go with a factory taper but keep the same muzzle diamter, if I keep using the factory stock.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
taylorce1 wrote:
quote:

"Hear-Hear"!!
As the good Colonel stated so aptly, "The only interesting rifle is an accurate rifle!"

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
TaylorForce:

nice job!

I did the same with a Savage Action that I picked up.. that was just an action..
my first barrel on it was a varmint weight 26 inch 7/08 barrel...

got a stock from the classifieds for $25.00...and spray painted mine with the same OD Green paint job... so our rigs are twins..

Good luck with yours...mine is a keeper also...

best regards...

seafire

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taylorce1:
quote:
Originally posted by seafire2:
TaylorForce:

nice job!

I did the same with a Savage Action that I picked up.. that was just an action..
my first barrel on it was a varmint weight 26 inch 7/08 barrel...

got a stock from the classifieds for $25.00...and spray painted mine with the same OD Green paint job... so our rigs are twins..

Good luck with yours...mine is a keeper also...

best regards...

seafire

Seafire,

I saw your rifle and I was impressed with it as well as several other Savage rifles I've seen built. I just thought it was about time to give it a go myself, I would have been probably just as happy with the .223 if I had just added the trigger and bolt knob. I figured I might as well go all out since I had the chance!

taylorce1

beer