New
Find
Notify
Tools

.243-06
 Login/Join

<bigdogfan2003>
posted
now I'm not going to claim I am some sort of gun expert; I am only 17 and just getting into heavy shooting. But I have been thinking of a cartridge that would be a good deer and varmint round. What if you necked down a .30-06 case to a .243 bullet size? I don't know if this has already been done or not, but I would love to see it in action. Let me know what you think of it. To any body that would want to create it, I would definitely buy a gun for it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes it has been done 6mm 06.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
BigDog,

About any case out there that is bigger than the .243 has been necked down to make a .243"/6mm wildcat. The 6mm-06 is pretty well known, and die sales in this caliber are at the top of the wildcat die charts according to the latest edition of Cartridges of the World.

If you want to try a factory cartridge wit similar ballistics, check the .240 Weatherby.

Glad to see some younger faces here!

jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
<bigdogfan2003>
posted
thanks guys, I know very little about custom cartridges. I am learning a lot from this wonderful forum. Pdog, you said something about the 6mm-06. How does it rank among other varminters?

one of us
posted Hide Post
the 6mm-06 would be one of the best long range varmit rifles.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What do you use for brass, 25-06, or will any 06 brass work?

Posts: 61 | Location: Ontario Canada | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Gary Rihn>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Alstro:
What do you use for brass, 25-06, or will any 06 brass work?

30-06 brass will work (hence the name 6mm-06), however you will probably be happier with 25-06 brass. It is already much closer to your desired "new" neck diameter. 30-06 brass will "force" more brass into the neck when you squeeze it down, requiring either neck turning or reaming. By using 25-06 brass, you practically eliminate that problem.

<bearmanmt>
posted
Hey Bigdog,
The other people replying have about covered everything. Just want to say a couple more things. First, glad to see some young blood. Welcome. Second, for safety reasons I like to form brass from a calibre that is distinctly different from the one that I am making. For example. I would not make a 6mm '06 from 25-06 because of the potential of getting things mixed up. Someone might grab your formed cases and fire them in a 25-06 because of the headstamp. No harm done in this case as the 6mm bullet will rattle down the .25cal bore. No accuracy of course, but it might ruin a varmint hunt. Another thing that I have done is use a small punch and gently obliterate the original caliber markings. This can be done quite attractively.
Anyway, just some thoughts.
The Bearman

<Big Stick>
posted
I'd prefer a case of that capacity,to be a 6-284.............

one of us
posted Hide Post
bigdogfan2003: Oh the enthusiasm of youth-- good for you. Nice to see.

One other point- the 6mm/06 is hard on barrel throats. Meaning wear is rapid with any firing rate other than very slow. Stand a 243 case next to the 06 case and note the huge capacity difference. That load of fuel in the 06 case will make lots of heat going down that 6mm bore. And that's what burns up the metal in the throat.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
The 240Wby is largely the same thing. It is very similar,except it wears a belt and a lengthened throat.

Yet another option...........

(My apologies,as Hunter Jim previously mentioned this)

[This message has been edited by Big Stick (edited 01-05-2002).]