New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Ranch Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Was going thru some on line catalogs looking for a left handed rifle for my son, who is a lefty...

I came across something I thought would be interesting for some of you guys.. It isn't my cup of tea... but Ruger is making their Ranch Rifles ( Mini 30s, Mini 14s) available in a 6.8 SPC...

That might not be a bad compromise for a youth hunting rifle.. or something on the farm that is bigger than a 223, but less in size and more effective than a 7.62 x 39...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I'm a lefty and have owned (still own two) a number of Mini-14s. Depending on the gun, I've had brass thrown directly into my face, inaccuracy, and cleaning problems. Again, this is depending on the individual rifle. Unless you are dead set on getting your son a semi-auto, I'd go with something like the Thompson Contender (not the Encore). Its lighter, usually a lot more accurate, can be caliber-swapped, and you both know how many shots are available. My grandsons each have received one of these in either .30-30 or 7-30 Waters. I load them with spitzer bullets and you can get more power, if needed, than with the 6.8SPC. By the way, the Contender is available in 6.8.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prof...

I was just passing this on...

I have never had a drop of interest in the Ruger Ranch Rifles... ever..

I am not an auto fan anyway.. but I thought the product might be of interest to fellow forum members with that chambering...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i have a stainless mini-30.... with a bushnell 3-9 scope on it.... i finally got enough red loctite on it to hold the scope rings on the scope....and keep the rings on the integral bases....the gun is accurate for the first shot... then as it gets hot, it strings them up.....when the clip is empty, the barrel cools enough to go back to original point of impact... first shot is where it needs to be... then it strings them up....its a vicious cycle... if the barrel is allowed to cool, point of impact stays put.....does it bother me?? some.... but i like to shoot the cheap wolf 122gr hollow points... and it does a good job on hogs.....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote