New
Find
Notify
Tools

What caliber, what gun??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My last question and the reponses given got me to thinking..

In your opinion what is the best compromise between recoil and knock down power for hunting purposes in North America in the smaller caliber guns? If you had to choose only one?

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
lubblockdave,

North America has some large animals and some of them can be dangerous. So perhaps you should be more specific. Otherwise one must choose the minimum for the most difficult task.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Pretty broad range but since you say small caliber I'll say the 7mm-08 even though it falls into the med. caliber range, no much recoil and still thumps game pretty hard.If it bites back better look for something heavier.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

lubblockdave,

North America has some large animals and some of them can be dangerous. So perhaps you should be more specific. Otherwise one must choose the minimum for the most difficult task.

OK, how about for a regular "joe-hunter" who hunts deer and hogs mostly but may take a once in a life time elk or moose hunt but may hunt where Black bears are not uncommon...

does this help?

one of us
posted Hide Post
30-06 or 300 WM - pretty boring I know but they work! the 300WM may be just the best overall for NA. Unless the big bears are on the plate but the 300 wm has the advantage of 30 cal bullet selection, reg length action, and ammo almost anywhere.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For deer, my 257AI with 120 gr Speer Hot Cores has done the job for a long time. Recoil is light enough that I can watch the reaction of the deer. Trajectory is as flat as most modern guns. And I can't tell the difference between it and any other "deer cartridge" as far as "knock down power".

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quote:

lubblockdave,

"OK, how about for a regular "joe-hunter" who hunts deer and hogs mostly but may take a once in a life time elk or moose hunt but may hunt where Black bears are not uncommon..."

7x57 or 6.5x55 will do the job with low recoil and will handle heavy bullets as well unlike the wussy .308 clones.

Oh what I said
roger

]

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
6.5 x 55, 260 Rem, 7 x 57 if your tastes are eclectic.

If not, then the best thing on the planet in the 30/06 for getting the job done, and having ammo available about anywhere on the planet.

Cheers and Good shooting

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of squeeze
posted Hide Post
I guess my vote would be for a sporter bolt gun, with
a hard look at Tikka, in .30-06 Sprg, or .300 WSM.
The .300 WSM can be loaded down to the .30-06 range,
for smaller animals and gased up to magnum levels for
dangerous game. But for most of what you describe, the
.30-06 has plenty of punch, and adequate for everything
on your list. I have seen black bear go down to a .30-06
easily, and once packed a good moose out taken by an
ex-Marine sniper, with a .270 Win, although that took a
couple of well placed shots, to get it down quickly.
One would have done it, but there was some question
as to exact shot placement on the first pull(grin).
Oh, it is dangerous to question an ex-Marine sniper's
shooting skills on something so large as a bull moose!
Actually that question was more of the reason for the
second shot, than was the need for a second shot!
Anyway, a .30-06 Sprg would be a good choice, but
if you want to error in the high side, then a .300 WSM
would be a better choice. IMHO.

Squeeze

Posts: 201 | Location: Wis | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since we are in the "small calibers" forum, I think I'll have to go with the 25.06, while I prefer the 243, but 25.06 is probably a closer fit for what you're asking. Unless that's not as small as you meant, in which case the 243 or 6mm will be the way to go.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are some good ones: .257 Roberts, 6.5x55 and .257 Wby - all in the "small bore category", and all amazingly versatile.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Even if we ignore the big bears, we are still talking about a chambering that is versatile enough to go from smallish southern White tails to elk and moose. Since we are considering recoil, I'd say a 308Win in a 22" barrel. Emminently shootable, versatile, and competent. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
If we have to stick with the small cal. forum limit of 6.5mm then I'd go for a 6.5-284 norma custom. This is only if you plan on reloading. If you wanna go the off the shelf ammo and gun route I'd think Sako in a 6.5-55. 140 barnes xlc would fill the bill nicely in the norma round. High BC bullet at 2900 fps + or you could download for varmits with either a 95 gr hornady v-max or 85 speer? velocities should be in the 3500 fps realm. If you're not limiting us to the caliber for this forum a 30.06 is your gun. JMHO

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote