THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Best 6.5mm and 7mm Hog/Deer bullet

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best 6.5mm and 7mm Hog/Deer bullet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 6.5x55 that I will use for deer and hog. I was hoping to try Cutting Edge Bullets on my next hog hunt but they need a 1-8" twist or faster to stabilize. Of course, my rifle has a 1-9".

What bullet do y'all use or recommend for deer/hog in 6.5mm and 7mm?

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5x55 is really an excellent deer rifle. I've had a couple that shot the 129 gr Hornady bullet very well. If you want a little more penetration (maybe on hogs) the 125 gr Partition is a killer. Heavier bullets work as well (140gr). It may come down to what shoots best in your rifle.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You didn't mention which 7mm you were using? 7x57? 7mm Rem?

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Barnes tipped triple shock. You'll never recover one.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna try the 130 grain Accubond in my 6.5 when I get a chance to head to the range.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
Probably any premium or any cup and core bullet 140 and up will work great. I'd use the 155 Mega or the 140 partition because that is what I have on hand.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowman,

My son shoots a 7mm-08.

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
With the modest velocities of the 6.5x55, almost any 140 grainer intended for hunting will do fine. I also like the 130 grain Accubond for an all-around bullet. But I've killed plenty of hogs and other creatures with the 120 grain Nosler BT, 125 grain Partition and 129 grain Hornady SP (don't use the 129 SST as it it far too fragile for hogs).

In the 7mm-08, the 139 grain Hornady spire points, the 140 grain Sierra Pro Hunter and 140 grain Accubond & Partition all do exceedingly well. And if you keep the MV to no more than 2650-2700 fps or so, the 140 grain Nosler BT and 140 grain C-T BST work wonders on deer and hogs, too.

I've been quite unimpressed by Barnes bullets in these chamberings. Granted, they work and have turned in spectacular accuracy for me. But they have never seemed to kill as cleanly nor as quickly as I prefer. In taking hogs well into the 3-figure range, the only ones ever to require a coup-de-grace were originally shot through the vitals with a Barnes.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd listen to Bobby T. I don't know anyone that has killed more hogs than he has. Seems like he shoots one every other week.

He's made me realize just what a ballistic tip at moderate velocity can do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. I had loaded up with some Nosler BT for my son's 7mm-08 and Nosler Partitions in my 6.5x55. Our first pig outing was a total bust. We didn't even have luck calling in coyotes. I'm hoping to be able to go out one more time before my son heads back to school.

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what I read most pigs are shot at moderate ranges. A super flat trajectory or super high velocity are not needed. Both the 6.5 and 7mm built their reputation with heavy for caliber cup and core bullets. Not many of those left but if you download the Woodleigh catalog, you will find a 160 gr 6.5mm and 175 7mm. IMHO bullets that has killed a lot of large African game would be able to handle any pig over here.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 140's in both my .260 and 7-08. Never killed a hog but that weight bullet does a number on WT and mulies. The Rem core lokt would be a good place to start. IMO, you don't need a magic bullet to kill a deer.
My son has shot some hogs with his 7-08. 140gr NP's. Killed two with one shot. He was a little hard to live with for a while after that.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too am a white-tip kinda guy.

Like Bobby Sez,

140's for the 7mm.

a twofer for the Merkel

130's for the 6.5's

Can't hardly go wrong with Accubonds

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geedubya,

You have the whole family of cartridges loaded up with Accubonds and more than a few nice pigs as well.

Hopefully my son and I will have a few pig pics to post in a week or so.

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
My deer/hog bullet for my 7x57 is the 150 Partition. But, if my shots are going to be under 150yds, I lean toward the 175 roundnose, especially for hogs. It penetrates well and desrtoys less meat. capt david

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
We've never had an issue with even the "cheap" core-lokts on hogs/whitetail.

We use a lot of Nosler Ballistic Tips and the Winchester Silvertips and enjoy them. Put it in the right spot with the 6.5 or 7mm and you won't have an issue putting a hog down tu2

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post

For anyone who believes that Ballistic Tips are soft: The bullet broke the onside shoulder, penetrated the heart, damaged a portion of the lungs, broke a rib on the opposite side and made it through its 2nd encounter with an 0.7" thick gristle before coming to rest under the hide (very nearly exited). The recovered bullet weighs 109 grains. The range was 185 yards; the MV from the 23” 30-30 AI was app. 2570 fps.

The bullet above, also from the 30-30 AI, penetrated the entire length of a coyote and lodged in the hip – AFTER breaking that bone.

Above is a 7mm 140 grain C-T Ballistic Silvertip launched at 2600 fps MV. It broke both shoulders of a large sow before coming to rest.

Another 7mm/140.

Above is a solid boar and the 7mm/140 BST that ended his destruction of area crops.

The 150 AB above was taken from a large boar that I took with a tough quartering shot. There was an exit near the point of the shoulder, but the bullet did not quite make it through and was still under the hide.

I do not get to recover many bullets as I generally get an axit. But as you can see, there is a recurring theme here. Keep the speeds modest, and the BTs will do a stellar job for you – and the Accubonds are even more of a good thing, though on-game performance is so similar that I doubt anyone could tell the difference. And, I’ve yet to have an animal complain… Smiler

Good luck!

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Texas in the early 1980s, I hunted near Johnson City. I shot about a dozen whitetails and 15-20 feral hogs with a Ruger #1A in 7x57 and 139 gr. Hornady and 145 gr. Speer bullets. Both worked well, even on some large hogs. If I were doing it today, I would probably use 140 gr. Accubonds or partitions. I shot one whitetail with the 130 gr. Speer but did not use it again due to meat damage.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great feedback from all and excellent photo summary Mr. Tomek.

My son is out of school this week for the livestock show. If he can kick the bug that has him down maybe we will be able to but our Noslers to the test one night here soon.

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skarp patron m/94 projektil m/94

You will never recover one dancing

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SR4759,

What are the details of the bullet loaded in the rounds shown?

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ELeeton:
SR4759,

What are the details of the bullet loaded in the rounds shown?

Nothing unless you like shooting old surplus full metal jacket round nose bullets. You won't recover one but you won't get expansion either. You are good to go with your partitions in your 6.5x55. You'll get expansion and probably won't recover it either.