THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Switching Barrels On Savage, BIG DEAL??

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Switching Barrels On Savage, BIG DEAL??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was wondering if anyone has had any bad experience switching barrels on Savage bolt action rifles. I have a model 12fv in 22-250 and im getting a 260 remington barrel for it and was wondering if any problems come with switching barrels. I realize that i need tools such as Barrel nut wrench, action/barrels wrench or vise. what else do i need, besides proper headspaceing tools of cource. IS THIS PROCESS REALLY AS EASY AS IT SEAMS. I NEED ANY SUGGESTIONS AS I PLAN ON SWITCHING BARRELS QUITE OFTEN, (WHEN I FINALLY GET ENOUGH MONEY TO BUY MY 260 BARREL AND EQUIPMENT THAT IS), JUST WONDERING WHAT OTHER PEOPLE HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THIS PROCESS. THANX IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR ADVICE!!!!

Posts: 165 | Location: BAKER CITY OREGON!!!!!! | Registered: 20 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Well, yes and no. This is NOT something you can do with a rubber hammer and a block of wood -- the first time.

Assume you will buy a good vise, about a 6". Not the made in China version. A real barrel vise would be better.

Getting the factory barrel off is a BEAR! I've bent an action doing it. Take it to a local gunsmith, and ask him to take it off for you. Mine charged $5 to do it.

Once you are changing barrels, and you stay with about 80 ft/lbs of pressure when installing, changing is quite easy, again, assuming you have decent tools, and know what you are doing. A good action wrench, barrel vise will be worth the investment. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanx for the advice Dutch. I appreciate you taking the time to let me know what you think about switching savage barrels. I'll have to remember to tork the nut to approx 80 ft/lbs(I WAS WONDERING HOW MUCH TORK TO PUT ON IT)

THANKS ALOT!!!!!

Posts: 165 | Location: BAKER CITY OREGON!!!!!! | Registered: 20 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
I got a picture of the barrel vice off midway and they describe the dimentions as well anf then got my brother in law to cut and drill the pieces for me. ( he is a machinist) total vice cost about 8 bucks and it's tough as hell. Then get yourself a good long wrench to fit the nuts that clamp the thing down. They have to be pretty tight to keep the barrel from turning in the vise under torque. It is easy though, if I went right now I could clamp my vice down, unscrew the barrel, and install and headspace the new barrel in about 15-20 min. I suggest getting a set of Weaver style bases. I have three scopes with their own rings that go with each barrel. Just attach and "fine tune".

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks NBHunter for your suggestions. I already have WEAVER bases and rings so yeah i agree thats a good way to go. Just take your scope off and put it back on in a matter of a few minutes.

Thanks for the advice!!