THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    To clean or not to clean .22 LR

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To clean or not to clean .22 LR
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
I know this is a rimfire question but....I have heard many guys say they don't clean the bores of their 22 rimfire. Is this good or bad?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't clean them unless there's copper fouling - there's more chance of cleaning rod damage than of rust damage.

I posted on www.rimfirecentral.com a year ago or so about an experiment I conducted. I cleaned my father's first 22 from the 1920's. This rifle had been religiously cleaned, as a person does with his first "real" rifle, for 10 years or so, from, say 1925 to 1935.

Then I got it in 1960. I cleaned it a few times, but saw no reason to do so - I believed the "outer lubrication" of the 22 Long Rifle bullets I shot would protect it. For argument's sake, say the last time I cleaned it was 1965.

I cleaned it again in 2005. I posted a pic of the bire patches - no rust on the patches or in the bore after 40 years.

It was a bit early, since I'd planned a 100-year experiment, but there it is - the end of an 80-year cleaning/non-cleaning experiment. The "Cleaners" can have their say, but unless they have 90+ years of empirical data, I'll just contine on the way I'm doing it - not cleaning. (Don't believe anyone who claims this was really a result of my laziness and not an experiment at all - some people just don't have the soul for science.)

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like those boresnakes for 22's. Exspecially my 10/22 since I never got around to drilling a hole in the rear for cleaning.
-Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
According to Anschütz instructions, I clean only after 5000 rounds. In the meantime and after shooting, just a dry patch through the bore, using a rod guide.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I remember to do it every 10 years or so. Unless they get wet or something. Then I run a patch with oil down them. I know I have shot many a thousands of rounds out of some 22 barrels and never touched them.
I do cleaned the chambers and barrel on some high use 22 pistols when they start having trouble most of the time all it takes is a good past with a brass brush and they are back up to shooting.

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I just clean the action. On rare occasion I will run a boresnake through it, but usually only if it got wet. Have never noticed an effect on accuracy. I like the Anschutz rule. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I watched a nut case the other day with a HB .22 LR at the range that cleaned the bore 8 times in one trip to the range. I was watching his groups and my light Sako that hasn't been cleaned for ten years will outshoot it. I felt like telling him he needed to cut an inch off the barrel and recrown it instead of cleaning it. I held my tongue instead.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crimson Mister
posted Hide Post
My 39a likes to be cleaned. Shoots Stingers much better through a clean barrel than a dirty one.

Some people are a lot like Slinkies: They're not good for much but it's kind of fun to push them down a flight of stairs.

Posts: 772 | Location: Norwalk, Wisconsin | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My jury has been out on this question for a long time...I hadn't noticed any problems either way... but being a typical gun guy, clean is better right????

We recently purchased a Ruger 10.22 that I replaced the factory barrel with one from Midway, and also replace the factory stock with an after market laminate that would accept the heavy Midway barrel....

It was a tack driver, and after 1000 rounds, I cleaned the barrel... started throwing rounds all over the place.... well another thousand rounds and the accuracy returned...

So as one can gather... THIS barrel is going to live a pretty 'down and dirty' life....

Whatever works..

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
I find that if I don't clean my Marlin 66 every so often, the action gets too gritty to function properly. So, generally when I clean it, I just disassemble it and clean everything with brake cleaner, oil it, and put it back together. I might run a patch or two down the bore, but nothing major.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote