Notify
Tools

Want input on barrel length
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
You don't need to wait for clear weather. You just need to shoot between the raindrops.

Rain I give a -3 for shooting, cold gets a -10.

Posts: 203 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 24 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those bull barrel targets will be a while, I broke my arm yesterday (DAMN), and my Bond Arms Derringer will be in this week and today was a beautiful day to target and shoot some clays with my new shotgun. THIS SUCKS AND HURTS LIKE HELL.

Posts: 203 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 24 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wboggs:

By the same token, what's the big difference between 20 and 24"?
~100fps, could be a little more or less depending on load

Sorry to hear about your arm.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

By the same token, what's the big difference between 20 and 24"?
~100fps, could be a little more or less depending on load

Sorry to hear about your arm.

That's my point, many are claiming that short barrels are best for long range accuracy when speed is your friend at distance. I don't understand their thinking at all. My experience is 50fps per inch, so why a short barrel?

Thanks...not having my writing hand sucks bad.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:

.... so why a short barrel?
Portability, shootability, and (if you don't need the velocity) accuracy. For your stated long range purpose you need the velocity. Shorter rifles are great for lesser distances.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

.... so why a short barrel?
Portability, shootability, and (if you don't need the velocity) accuracy. For your stated long range purpose you need the velocity. Shorter rifles are great for lesser distances.

Not a good recommendation for someone seeking 600 yard accuracy though, which was my question.

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
Okay this is the exact question I was going to ask. I need it answered for 223 and 22lr. I read somewhere That the barrel length requirement was different for calibers. With that being said bullet length and weight with powder choice should dictate barrel length. As I like varget and the vld bullets I was looking at the ER Shaw 24" with 1-8 twist. Will the fast twist damage the 50-60 grain bullets? Would I always have to shoot 70+ grn bullets? Im looking at shooting ground hogs with it and letting my wife use it for deer hunting.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It depends on how fast you try to drive them. And some luck too.

One of my 223 1-8's loves both the 69 grain Matchking and the 40 and 55 grain Noslers as well. It is 23 inches long. I have a 26 inch 1 -8 heavy barrel that shoots the same 69 grain load very well and does ok with the 55 - but it shoots more consistently with its own load for the 55 Nosler.

You may have to try some bullets and then again it may just like the ones you have.

While it is your call, I don't care much for the 223 on deer.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdvjrp93:
Okay this is the exact question I was going to ask. I need it answered for 223 and 22lr. I read somewhere That the barrel length requirement was different for calibers. With that being said bullet length and weight with powder choice should dictate barrel length. As I like varget and the vld bullets I was looking at the ER Shaw 24" with 1-8 twist. Will the fast twist damage the 50-60 grain bullets? Would I always have to shoot 70+ grn bullets? Im looking at shooting ground hogs with it and letting my wife use it for deer hunting.

This site will help you a lot.

http://www.6mmbr.com/223rem.html

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
wboggs Thank you that was a great site. It was chalk full of the answers I was looking for. I appreciate your finding that for me.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdvjrp93:
wboggs Thank you that was a great site. It was chalk full of the answers I was looking for. I appreciate your finding that for me.

I found it years ago knowing I would eventually get into .223. It is good stuff.