New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of a 6.5 Round.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am thinking about a 6.5, at first I was thinking .260,I was thinking I would use my sako action ,(Browning safari .243)and go hole hog on a custom.
I still might.
But then i rememberd my smith has a Small ring commercial husky action sitting there with a E,R. Shaw 24 inch SS barrel in 6.5 swede.
I could just buy that action and have a stock built, or better yet have it rebored to 6.5X284.
If I did that I would still have the little sako (Browning).243 and the custom would be closer to completion.
Never had a husky but i bet thats a prety good shooter, in the swede or the 6.5 X 284. What do you think are the pro,s and cons of each
prospective project? ...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the name doesn't give it away, I love the 6.5 Swede, and highly recommend it. You didn't say what use you plan for the rifle, so I'll just say that in order of the choices you list, I'd go with the staright Swede, then the .260, and personally wouldn't touch the 6.5x284 on a bet for two reasons: first, there are better action choices for this than a small ring Mauser (much as I love them) and also, that round seems to like longer barrels from what I have seen of them to fully use the capacity.

Eric

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
TJ, from having owned 3 1896's, a 700 classic all in 6.5x55, 2 260's, and a 6.5/308 custom-another 260 in essence, there is nothing I want from a 6.5 that I need more than the above rounds.

NOW, if you asked me what my 'fantasy 6.5' is, I will tell you.

A Sako action-L579, a Kimber, OR a petite falling block as the former Hall Benchrest action, perhaps a Browning Low Wall in a new released round by Lapua called the 6.5x47. This has a capacity of 35-39 grains using faster powders than the above 2 rounds, and gets around 95% potential speeds at least with up to 130/140 gr bullets. This would give me ALL I need/want in an efficient, accurate round that uses factory Lapua cases, and I would expect good loads to shoot about as good if not better than a good 6mm BR. Under 1/2 MOA consistently with a variety of loads. Give me a 129 Hornady, 125 partition, or a 130 Accubond bullet and I would be set to hunt thru elk/moose with shot placement to 300 or just beyond yards.

Tell me I am crazy, but it performs, and the accuracy is like the 6.5x55 and then some. A Tikka factory rifle did this:

This can be seen in the fact the 1999 British Long-Range Benchrest Championship was won by a Tikka Continental in 6.5x55. Group size was an almost unbelievable 10 rounds into 4.4 inches at 1,000 yards.

If you can't get 'turned on' by that accuracy, or something like a 6.5x47 that shoots perhaps better, don't go looking for a 6.5/284 ....

Just my opinion.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do like the accuracy you are talking about ! Ok I will consider the swede and the .260. For now. However I will use a different rifle for Elk or if i ever get to hunt moose.
I am going to a gunshow saterday morning, and i will go with the atitude of raising money for a swede or a 260.
I could just buy a CZ-550, as I have 2 and shooters they are, but the 550 american weighs about 8LBS. I like the idea of a 550 in .338 win (not available) but I do not want to lug around an 8LB rifle in a smaller round.
I would consider a model 7 CDL, but I am not to thrilled with the idea. Nice rifles but I would have to find one with real prety wood. And I want a 22 inch tube...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Thomas
Last year I fell into a couple of Swede's with the intention of pulling the 6.5 barrels and doing other projects with them, then I fell in love with the thing. One of my 6.5x55's that came to me with a dark bore and needing some work produced the group pictured. Everything I've shot in this rifle shoots better than 1.5" and several groups in the .5" range. Not bad for a dark bored 80 year old converted sporter rifle. Get one you'll love it!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
TJ, I would not recommend people 'choose' a 6.5 over something larger in their cabinet heading out after moose and elk, but the guy who bought my 6.5x55 Win 70 stainless featherweight (yes, DANGIT why did I have to sell that JUST prior to learning Winchester is no more!).......but this Canadian guy totes his and is ready to poke a Moose. It seems small, but a good 125 partition, 120x, 129 hornady, 130 accubond, or better yet just any good 140-160gr will do them in fine at a reasonable range with a good hit.

I think Moose although larger might die easier than an Elk, but if large bear roam the country, I would want a good 30 cal minimum, and myself prefer a 338 bore or perhaps larger though not needed JUST by chance you HAD to stop a charging bear. I am sure this is not a common occurence, but IF/WHEN it happens to hunters, you WANT a gun with stopping power in a 'get it done right now' cartridge.

But yes, a 22" is great for 6.5's and a Kimber 260 might offer you that and the quality (nicer wood if you want it blue/wood or there is a ss/syn) in a barrel length you want, its 9 twist will handle 129's and down but 140s might be marginal, though you may not want that. Another quality option, half the money, a Tikka T3 if you can live with the plastic bottom and clip, in trade for a slick action, good trigger, famous Sako workmanship and barrel, and good wood, or perhaps a synthetic if you can find a blue/syn or SS/Syn. They DO come with 8 twise and throated for all 6.5's bullet choices, in 6.5x55 of course.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have herd alot of good about tikka,s. I don't think I have ever seen one in the 6.5 swede. While not to fond of plastic , I am prgmatick and if i found one with a wood stock it I would consider it.
I also am no fan of a detachable magizine on a hunting rifle, so I don't plan on putting a tikka on top of my list. Any way I go to the gunshow tommorow.
A 94 or 96 mauser although They are realnice rifles , do not intrest me much as I like to shoot fairly hot loads.
I would not be to shocked if I came homw with somthing else altogether.
I like savage 99s ,and I could use another .308 I amlso am with out a 300 win.
Any big game round in a sako would be tempting too ...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 6.5x55 in an M70 FWT, but I'd go with a 260 Rem without a qualm if I wanted a 6.5 in a short action. In other words, I'd let my action preference drive my cartridge selection.

While handloading the 6.5 Swede can warm up the low-velocity factory loads (if this matters to you), you're still slightly at a disadvantage to the 260 R by having no really good maximum loads in the handloading manuals. This matters (to me, anyway) since I don't trust either Case Head Expansion-type symptoms, or traditional sticky-bolt-flat-primer symptoms to tell me when I'm approaching excitement. So, if you like a good cookbook approach to loading, the 260 R may have some advantages; as a newer load, their high-pressures really are max. FWIW

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Yes, short action would not do justice to the 6.5x55 unless an MRC or similar length 'short action', L579 has a box longer than a Rem. and would come close, as I recall my OAL in my Swede rounds shot in Rem classic and mauser was not much over 3". You might give up .15 inch.

As to loads, 6.5x55 typically has 1.5-2.0 gr capacity difference, or a tad more with certain brass. I good strong modern action can handle 1-2 grains OVER 260 data, and perhaps more.

I would start there, and use a chrono also. Your speeds will be plenty, just zero and learn the loads trajectory by shooting it.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I think the 6.5X284 is a fine round in an appropriate action. But starting with a 6.5X55 is a fair bit of re-work, setting the barrel back a bit, and working the feed rails for the larger dia case.

I'd just leave the 6.5X55 as is and have it stocked. I'd also consider shortening the barrel to 22" to make it a bit handier and lighter.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
I have two 6.5mms, a CZ550 FS in 6.5x55 and a Kimber 84M in .260 Rem. The CZ has a 1/8.6" twist and thrives on Hornady 140gr SPs. The Kimber has a 1/9" twist and prefers 129gr Hornady SPs. Both are exceptionally accurate and neither produce any recoil worth mentioning. As eluded to previously, use an intermediate or long action for the 6.5x55 and a short for the .260 Rem. There is extremely little difference between the two cartridges in the ability to increase the Whitetail mortality rate. More "cartridge" is not needed for such endeavors IMHO. Drill it, kill it, and grill it Cool.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recoil is not a concern at all,
I am planning a trip to the gunshow tommorow, and if I get a fair offer on what I am selling, (or trading) I would expect to get started with a 6.5 somthing orather.
But don't be to shocked if I come home with somthing totaly differnt, Ya never know, when there are a few thousand rifles in front you !
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm on my third 6.5x55. Also have a 6.5x06. Love them both. Have shot two elk with the 6.5x06, one shot each with 140gr Hornady. Now I'm using the 129 gr Hornady in it and the 140gr in my 6.5x55. I'm not sure you could go wrong with any 6.5!

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Don, you really can't go wrong with any 6.5. I would not hestitate for the barest fraction of a second to drill Bullwinkle with the 6.5. Here in Canada, we have a lot of really big moose, and a lot of 6.5 Swedes. A 160 gr. round nose shoots flat enough out to 200 meters or better to do all that you want to do, and will exit the southside of a northbound moose every day of the week. I have personally owned and used the 6.5 Swede, 6.5 X 52, 6.5 X 54, a very rare 6.5 X 58 Portuguese Vergeiro, and currently am shooting a rimmed 6.5 wildcat I designed on the .45-70 case. You just can't beat them easily in terms of versatility, power, penetration, and mild recoil.

Posts: 25 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta | Registered: 11 December 2006Reply With Quote