New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 527 .22 Hornet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just purchased a new CZ 527 .22 Hornet. I was wondering if anybody out there has had any experience with one and maybe even might consider sharing some loads. Thanks.

We didn't inherit the land from our fathers, we're borrowing it from our children.

Posts: 94 | Location: central pennsylvania | Registered: 30 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got one. Liked it so much I bought another in .221 Fireball.

Mine likes a case full of Lil Gun, CCI small rifle primers, and a 40 grain VMax.

Nice little rifle for the $.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you able to seat the v-max's so they will function through the magazine?

We didn't inherit the land from our fathers, we're borrowing it from our children.

Posts: 94 | Location: central pennsylvania | Registered: 30 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had to modify the spacer in the magazine to accept a longer cartridge OAL.

If you take the magazine apart the spacer is, for lack of a better description - hollow. I filled mine with epoxy and then removed about 3/16 ths of an inch form the front side.

Mine still functions as it should, but I understand that if you remove too much material from the spacer the bolt may not pick up the cartridge when you cycle it.

But to be honest I mostly use mine as a single shot anyway. Crows and groundhogs don't usually offer too many follow up shots.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I also have a 527 in .22 Hornet. Best load to date is a 35 grain VMAX over 13 grains of Lil'Gun seated to just fit in the magazine.
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto PJ's load. It is sweet in my 527 as well.

Telly

Posts: 163 | Location: Vincennes, IN | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen
I have 2 loads that I currently use in my zkw465 in .22 Hornet (the predecessor to the fox and later the 527). These loads hit the same spot on 80 m (ca 88 yards) so I dont have to adjust the scope. The first is for game I intend to eat, 11,8gn lilgun, PMC NTSR primer, win case and the Sellier & Bellot 45gn FMJ. Col:1,69".
The second load is 12,15gn lilgun, 40gn hdy V-max, same cases and primers as above, col:1,73".

I put 2 bullets through a .270 win case at 88 yd with these loads.
Today I tried the V-max on a hare in the mountains at around 3600 feet above sea level, extrememly windy conditions. The exit wound was 4" x 8" and the hare died on the spot. Distance ca 45yd. I did not expect it to fragmentise that much, since it is developed for the higher speeds of the .222rem. But now I know that it is only head shots with this bullet on edible game.
In europe the .22 hornet is mostly used for grouse/ptarmigans, hare, capercallie, goose, ducks and so on.

Regards
Daniel

Posts: 271 | Location: 68°N, Lapland Sweden | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Ruger 77/22-Hornet shoots a dime size group with a 45 gr. bullet and 9.7 grains of 2400.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 13gr Lilgun, a small pistol primer and a 45gr Barnes XLC for coyotes, gets about 2,900fps and shoots great out of my 20" Ruger.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First load I tried was 11.5 gr. IMR 4227 and a 46 gr Winchester HP. I didn't have time to set up the chrono when I tested it Saturday evening but the groups averaged .6 at 100 yards in a 10-15 mph wind. I killed some vermin with it this morning and hope to harvest Thanksgiving dinner with it in the next couple of weeks. This will work for now until I have time to try some 35 or 40 gr Vmax bullets. I'm also seriously considering having it rechambered to a K-Hornt over the winter. Anybody have any thughts on that?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great idea! I have a couple K Hornets and love em. They seem to be slightly more accurate, better case life, and another 100-150 FPS. Even fireforming loads shoot well. I have a T/C contender & Ruger 77 in that caliber. Both shoot well under an inch at 100 yards. Regards, Larry

God, guns, & guts made us free. Let's keep all three!

Posts: 169 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote