THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    4759 reduced loads,.223,.22-250, .243?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

4759 reduced loads,.223,.22-250, .243?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
The blue dot postings are doing great. Is anyone still reducing with 4759? It's been around a long time and I know I've seen some good stuff with it. Now is the time to share that old aquired data with the rest of us.

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never used 4759, but I know a guy who got a double charge of it in a 30-06 Mauser. The case welded to the bolt face.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
"
Quote:

I have never used 4759, but I know a guy who got a double charge of it in a 30-06 Mauser. The case welded to the bolt face.

"

You probably read in other threads where I am rather new to reduced loading.I've always stayed away from any powder that could be double loaded and do some harm.For this reason I've never loaded pistol. This Blue Dot hype has readjusted my thinking a little and has reestablished a greater awareness of care in loading. I never had to use a flashlite when loading before. With these faster powders I now do. I've used a fair quantity of 4759 but mostly,till now, in small capacity large caliber wild cats where overloading, although not impossible, would be akin to overloading an 06 with 4350.
For the first time ,last week, I used some 2400 in my .243. I was pleasantly shocked at the great accuracy of the load. I of course think that the 2400 requires a greater amount of attention than 4831 and may not use it in the .243 again especially if the Blue Dot works as wellas advertised. That question will be answered at the range Wed. in the .243 and my new .222 CZ 527. What a sweet little rifle. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't use Blue Dot or 4759 powders but have some reduced loads for .223 Remmington:
4.0 to 5.0 grains of Bullseye
5.6 grains of Unique [About 1850 fps and the one I use.]

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used 4759 for a long time. My formula for a "Hornet" load is a light bullet for the caliber with 1/2 the particular cartridges full case charge weight of IMR SR 4759.

So if a Swift will hold 40 grs of powder then 20 grs of 4759 will produce about 2800 fps with say a 45 gr bullet and will fill the case over 1/2 full due to it's bulk. These loads have always shot well for me.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had a rather mixed bag of results with 4759 ranging from absolutely stellar as a full charge for paper patched 300 gr lead in a .44 Mag, to scary in a 30-30 with 110 lead.

In both of the above I conformed with published data. The 30-30 load was actually at the starting load recommendation, was not a double charge because as noted above it can't be done. Made my eyes water. They were not tears of joy. Sooooo, the short of it is that I'm not real wild about it as a go to powder. My good results have all been with straight wall cases, the bad in bottle necks. That would be my .02 worth.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote