New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cast bullets in a Roberts?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is it worth looking into cast bullets, or should a guy just download jacketed bullets?

Looking at some of the cast load recipe's, velocities from 1500-1800fps look really interesting for off season practice. Turns the Roberts into a 25-20 or .22 mag.

Does anyone have any experience with reduced loads or cast bullets in the small calibers?

Posts: 218 | Location: KC MO | Registered: 07 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot the RCBS 95 grain SP cast bullet in a .243 and get very good accuracy and a chronograph showed 2900 fps even though that was much higher than the Lyman book said it should be. It did not perform worth a darn on the one deer I shot with it---as in no blood and ran off showing no signs of being hit. I have shoot that same style bullet in 58 grain in .22 cal and around 2000-2200 fps it is great on jackrabbits----shoots great in .222 and 22-250---but wont shoot in my .223. I'd suspect it would do good in a .257 Roberts---but too small a cal for deer( too small for using cast)

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I had a 25-20 in a Win 92 some years ago. It was a great plinking rifle. I used mostly cast flat nose bullets in the 80 gr range. It was fun to shoot and keep in camp for pests (raccoons and skunks, etc).

I think several commercial bullet casters sell cast bullets for the 25-20, try Meister or Oregon Trail bullets. Dunno about cast round nose or spitzers, maybe.

I've never shot cast bullets from my Roberts, or my Roberts AI, so I can't give you any direct info on that, sorry.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Would you be intereste in paper patching? Normal jacketed velocities and a very cleam bore!

Cast bullets can be heavier for length than jacketed and a nice round nose or semi-round nose of 100gr to 125gr is quite do-able. I have fired only one paper patched 120gr bullet in my 25/303 (half way between the 250 savage and the Roberts). That single shot killed a turkey - it shot that close to my normal jacketed loads. (It was a coup de grace shot on an already wounded bird).

Accuracy potential with paper patched bullets is quite astounding. A good velocity expection would be around 2800fps. (Paper patching is also rather fun Wink).

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am actually wanting 25-20 speeds from my Roberts. I think shooting 80-100grn cast at 1400-1900fps would be a hoot.

A very quiet plinking round is what I'm after.

Is there filler that goes in the case? Looking at recipes, it seems like 10grn of PB or Reddot could almost get lost in a full size case.

Also is there a reason to use bast bullets over jacketed bullets? Is cost the only factor to consider?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dave-t-- When I was considering taking up reloading, I read the Lyman reloading manual and some things they said about cast bullets---besides the cost factor got my attention. They sited an example where they took 2 30-06 barrels and fired jacketed through one and cast the other and when the jacketed one was worn out, the cast barrel showed no measurable wear. They asked the question--how many .22 rimfire barrels have you seen that were shot out?
You are correct, cast makes great plinking round. With the reduced pressure you get reduced blast and recoil. I don't remember the first jacketed reload I shot in my 30-06---it was about like the factor stuff I shot. I remember well the first cast I shot in it. One load was using 4064 powder and about 2400 fps and it felt about like a 30-30. The next load was Unique around 1600 fps and I thought I had a missfire--little noise and recoil--not much different than a .22 rimfire--that mild. Unique does leave a lot of empty space in a 30-06 size case, but I have never used a filler---not saying a filler wouldn't help--just saying I never have.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is great info carpetman1. Just what I was looking for.

If I can get a cast load going 1600fps or so, I could still use it for some 100yd and under varmint hunting, and just to shoot the heck out of, without all of the noise. I'm looking for .22mag rimfire or 25-20 level of noise and velocity.

Thanks again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dave t--I think you'll find your range will exceed 100 yards. Using cast in .22 cal I can shoot jackrabbits to about whatever range you can spotlight them. This is with a very scientific mixture of wheelweights making a 58 grain (RCBS mold) bullet, launched about 2000-2200fps. This scientific mixture consists of wheelweights that I didnt buy mixed equally with free wheel weights.