New
Find
Notify
Tools

H&R handi 22ppc
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had my 22 hornet barrel rechambered to 22 ppc, I just finished the stocks, now i just need dies recoil pad ect. hopefully it will be a shooter like it was when it was a hornet.

loud pipes save lives

Posts: 100 | Location: New Enterprise PA | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking outfit. Let us know how well it does shoot for you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What twist is the Hornet bbl in a Handi rifle? some of my Hornets have had slow 1-16 or slower twist and won't like the "normal" 50-53 grain br loads.....but do well with 40-45 grain bullets.....I still have a set of 22PPC dies left from a Sako heavy bbl and I use the sizer for neck sizing small body 222 sized cases....according to the neck diameter in the chamber you might need bushing type dies for a tighter type chamber....good luck and good shooting!!

bigdaddytacp

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its a 1-12 twist, I plan on using the 40 grain v-max. I just wanted somthing unique and so far after doing lots of searches on the net I have came to believe that i have the only 22ppc handi rifle.

loud pipes save lives

Posts: 100 | Location: New Enterprise PA | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
Wow, certainly an interesting and unique choice. Good luck and let us know how it shoots.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who did the rechamber job for you?

I've been interested in getting a new barrel and trying something different with mine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wayne York

http://home.earthlink.net/~oregunsmithing/

loud pipes save lives

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great idea and primo project to me. Now you've got me wondering how much fun it would create for me to get one of those Hornet rifles like yours and run my .220 Russian reamer into it......

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Benwillweit:
Wayne York

http://home.earthlink.net/~oregunsmithing/

Thanks, been dying to try a .30-40 AI and hoping my .30-30 could be reamed out to this cartridge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's been my experiance that accuracy can be quite spotty with break action single shot rifles when their chambered for rimless rounds. Brass headspace must be controlled down to the .001" or you have no constancy at all

it's been my experiance that everything in this article is correct.

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=172

----------------------------------------

If you waste your time a talkin' to the people who don't listen
To the things that you are sayin' who do you thinks gonna hear
And if you should die explainin' how the thing they complain about
Or the things they could be changing who do you thinks gonna care

Waylon Jennings

Posts: 329 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I agree the info in the article by Bellm is basically correct, I achieve the same goal in a far easier (to me) way.

I load my new brass and fire-form it in the gun it is to be used in. Then when I first resize it (full-length sizing), I do NOT set the shoulder back, any.

It is easy to see when that is happening by watching the ring of sizing lube move down the case neck, adjusting the die deeper into the press until the ring on the case neck is forced down until it just reaches the shoulder. I lock the sizing die at that point.

From then on, the die is set to a dimension which equals the exact headspace of the gun.

Because the die is set with brass which has been fired only once, i.e., with cases which have not had the opportunity to stretch enough to require shoulder set-back yet, then in the future when they DO require set-back, it is automatically provided by that sizing die setting.

My experience with such break-action guns has been substantial, and I do not have any trouble with them "changing" accuracy over time. Nor is vertical stringing a problem with any of mine.

Incidentally, I use the same approach with all rimless rounds, regardless what kind of action they are used in other than semi-automatic. I use the same drill in break-actions, tipping-block actions, bolt actions, falling block actions, lever actions, etc.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
...I load my new brass and fire-form it in the gun it is to be used in. Then when I first resize it (full-length sizing), I do NOT set the shoulder back, any. ...
When I was messing with a Contender years ago, there were complaints about 35Rem Factory Ammo not always firing in them. The Factory Ammo Headspace was always mentioned as what was wrong.

Somewhere during that time I read the "proper" Big Grin way to Resize for a Contender with a Bottle Neck Case was to Resize it just enough so the Action would "Snap Shut" on the Case (with a slight bit of resistance). thumb That writer had just re-discovered the good old P-FLR Method of Reloading. P-FLR worked for me long before then, and still does.

Though I would Full Length Resize for any Dangerous Game rifle and all semi-autos.
-----

How is it shooting Ben???

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeh, Hot Core, the .35 Remington Contender (Super14) is one of the ones I've used the method I outlined above in, too. Always shot just fine for me. Glad you piped in...always good to hear your experiences.

As you obviously know, what I'm doing IS Partial Full-Length Resizing, so to speak.

Lots of ways to skin a cat, eh? I get a real kick out of all the "authorities" who say there is just ONE way (inevitably THEIR way) to do anything. Most of the time all that shows to me is a narrow mind or shallow experience.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Completely agree. Lots of ways to Reload and as long as they use SAFE Methods, I'm all for them. Well, maybe not the totally worthless HSGS. rotflmo