THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    .375 Weatherby Companion Bore??Found Them!!!

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.375 Weatherby Companion Bore??Found Them!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a 373 H&H Sako AV rechambered to 375 Weatherby Magnum. I am planning to have Krieger contour another barrel to the same dimensions. I want to make a switch barrel rig. What do you all think of a 6.5x300 Weatherby as the companion barrel? I suppose the other choice would be a straight 300 Weatherby. Thanks.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't shoot the 300 Weatherby anymore. I would recommend the 270 Weatherby as it is more appropriate for North American game. The 257 Weatherby is limited and the 270 Weatherby is more versatile. The 300 Weatherby is a a great round with lots of bullet choices available.

Knowing you have a 375 caliber that you could run 210 grain bullets in makes me think there is no reason for a 300 Weatherby in your arsenal.

Cheers,

Matt

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I see you are also posting for suggestions here. The action will remain the same so wouldn't cartridges of .375 Wby length be best? And why must they be Wby calibers? If you go smaller than .300 then why not a 7mm STW? That's what the 7mm Wby would have been if it was created in more modern times. The STWs is also the same length as the .275 Wby.

left to right: .257 STW, .257 Weatherby Magnum, 6.5mm STW, .264 Winchester Magnum, 7mm STW, 7mm Remington Magnum, .358 STA, .358 Norma Magnum

Finally, since you are having barrels made to match a contour, why not get two barrels made?

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I would be committed to the longer cartridges. The 6.5x300 Weatherby is a full length cartridge, although that might make the gun too nose heavy.

I shoot Weatherby cartridges because:
1. They look different.
2. The brass is incredibly well made.
3. The new Norma reloading manual has realistic data, and I have a bunch of Norma powder on hand. (Who would have dreamed that Norma powder would be easier to find tham Hodgdon H4350, and Varget??)
You have given me some food for thought. My 416 Rigby was my go-to, and truck gun for two decades. No reason the 375 Weatherby couldn't replace the Rigby. The 375 Weatherby has the same trajectory as a 30-06.
I have a Sako in 7mm Remington Mag. It is certainly minute of Elk, but I would like an accurate laser beam. I may take the 7 Rem Mag barrel off, and replace it with a 270 or 7mm Weatherby barrel. For some reason, I have 120 virgin cases in both of those calibers. Shoot, I may have to think on all this.

Oh yeah, two barrels. Now that is a thought...375 WBY MAG; 300 WBY MAG; and 6.5 x 300 WBY MAG..Hmm..

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Another thought.

To better match the weights why not flute the small bore barrel(s)? I believe fluting is a bunch of hype. But in this case you want to keep the contour of the heavier barrel through the stock and, with these calibers, you don't want to have to lop off a bunch of barrel. Fluting would allow you to do that. It would lighten the barrels without altering contour or length.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dude,
That is an excellent idea. There will be plenty of metal to hog out. I could get both barrels weighing the exact same, or even improve the balance of the smaller barrel. Thank you for coming up with that!

Charlie

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe 2 barrels? 6.5/300 AND 300 Wby. Got your long distance/lighter game, your general purpose, and your big and possibly nasty. I am in the process of pairing the 300 and 375 Wby myself, just need the barrel swap done on the 7mm Rem to 375 Wby

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe a #4 sporter contour will work out well. Maybe get all the barrels at once. Someone suggested to me to flute the lighter caliber bullet barrels to keep the weight and balance the same. FWIW.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
Thanks for the input. I would be committed to the longer cartridges. The 6.5x300 Weatherby is a full length cartridge, although that might make the gun too nose heavy.

I shoot Weatherby cartridges because:
1. They look different.
2. The brass is incredibly well made.
3. The new Norma reloading manual has realistic data, and I have a bunch of Norma powder on hand. (Who would have dreamed that Norma powder would be easier to find tham Hodgdon H4350, and Varget??)
You have given me some food for thought. My 416 Rigby was my go-to, and truck gun for two decades. No reason the 375 Weatherby couldn't replace the Rigby. The 375 Weatherby has the same trajectory as a 30-06.
I have a Sako in 7mm Remington Mag. It is certainly minute of Elk, but I would like an accurate laser beam. I may take the 7 Rem Mag barrel off, and replace it with a 270 or 7mm Weatherby barrel. For some reason, I have 120 virgin cases in both of those calibers. Shoot, I may have to think on all this.

Oh yeah, two barrels. Now that is a thought...375 WBY MAG; 300 WBY MAG; and 6.5 x 300 WBY MAG..Hmm..

Go the two barrels.

Twice the fun! tu2

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am going to do that. What a wicked arsenal that will make.