Find
Notify
Tools

Re: .222 remington
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Englander,

CZ makes it in several styles. those are available in Europe I am sure.

In Europe, you have the luxury of magazine capacities of 8 rounds instead of limited to 5 or so like here stateside.

CZ's here only have a 5 round capacity, but yet have the some magazine depth as the European distributed guns.

your comment on the Sako surprises me. Maybe Berreta brought in a few accountants to try them out helping out in manufacturing and production, and planning.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mauser: What is a troll?
What a cute meter you have there!
Are you saying that Craigster is not telling the truth in his posting?
I am trying to follow your postings intent here.
Hold into the iwnd
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to be so dumb,-its a genetic thing- but what is a moderator?? I thought it was a guy that refereed a political debate..

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Sorry to be so dumb,-its a genetic thing- but what is a moderator?? I thought it was a guy that refereed a political debate..

I think hes talking about a silencer, or sound buffering device.

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes sorry gentleman i mean "Full bore silencer" we Brits have always been able to fit silencers to our .22 rimfires for rabbit control, but silencers for centre fire rifles were not allowed. How ever in the last few years the police have allowed us "sound moderators" if you ask them for a silencer you wont get it ? but ask for a sound moderator no problem ! Crazy ! But if we must play the game that way so be it !

I believe in the state's some places they are legal but you must pay tax or such on them ??

I wouldnt fit one to my Deer rifles but for "Lamping" at night and varminting during the day it cuts down on annoying people and disturbing livestock.

Could fit one to my .218 Bee marlin but it would probably spoil the looks.........

Englander

Posts: 193 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
The only 222 I have owned/shot is a Sako AI Hunter. It would shoot .5 or better with reloads if I did my part. Lou

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ENGLANDER - I have owned several .222 and been around several others who use this rifle, so based on that experience I would say the following about this cartridge.

1. I can think of no other rifle cartridge that WANTS to shoot accurately like the .222. They are just inherantly accurate and under 1 MOA is almost unthinkable by any I've seen. So I think you will be hard put to find one that doesn't shoot very well for you.

2. This is almost a recoiless rifle. As such, it seems of little value to get one in heavy bbl or otherwise encumbered unless your use is to be strictly benchrest. For any sort of hunting rifle, I wouldn't bother with heavy anything. It's going to shoot good regardless and you'll just be packing extra weight for nothing. IMHO.

Almost the same can be said for the .223, although if push came to shove, the .222 is likely to be bit more accurate in my experience. The big advantage of a .223 over the 222 is availability of military ammo and endless supply of cases. Plus you will gain a fairly hefty power bonus with heavier bullets.

For these reasons today the 223 is probably more popular than the 222 and I suspect the gap will continue to widen.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might check the used rifle racks. As the .223 increases in popularity more .222Rem.'s are showing up for sale. Personally I much prefer the .222Rem. Most companies made rifles in this caliber, and most are accurate. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While we are discussing the .222 Rem, would it be a bad thing to put a 1-12" twist barrel on a .222 Rem (as opposed to the pretty standard 1-14)??

I'm toying with the option of rebarreling a .222, and was wondering whether the 1-12 would not be the more versatile option? These days, it seems people are less worried about over stabilization... Thoughts??

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mho - The problem with faster twists to allow heavier bullets is it does nothing to address limited case capacity. In fact, larger bullets would reduce case capacity in a cartridge that doesn't have any capacity to waste.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
mho,

It would be pointless to go to a 1 in 12 barrel for a .222 It doesn't get any than a .222 and a 50 gr. bullet whether it be a Sierra blitz (my personal favorite) a V-max or what have you. A 1 in 12 just isn't required. I'm sure that going to a 1 in 12 wouldn't hurt a thing but what I am saying is that I would not take off a 1 in 14 for the express purpose of installing a 1 in 12. If you gotta try the heavier bullets by all means get a 1 in 12 and give her a whirl. Jim

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see what you are saying.... I suppose I should have stated this rifle is intended for use on the range - primarily - so velocity is not much of an issue (165 yds max, normally). I can see your points about the regular 1-14" barrel, and I would certainly not replace the barrel just to get a 1-12" twist. But if I had to replace anyway.... Our problem over here is availability and price of components. So I try to stick with common components, that can be used in multiple rifles. That makes the 55grs attractive, as it is the main fodder for my .223 Rem. Thanks for the feedback in any event!
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote