one of us
posted

[ 01-01-2003, 05:42: Message edited by: Nebraska ]

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nebraska:
...would like input on what you feel is the "max" effective distance for deer using anything from a 25-06 to a 7mm Rem Mag.

The question is way too open to answer. You want a "range" that applies to everything from an 87 gr 25 cal bullet up to a 175 gr bullet fired from a Magnum? The 7mm RM will kill them as far as you are comfortable, and capable of, shooting them.

<reload>
posted
The 25-06 and the .257 Roberts improved can shoot varmints out to 600 yards, but I don't believe a hunter should shoot at deer 300 yards or over. Most factory rifles can't shoot a 5 shot 12" group at 200 yards what ever the size of your game rifle when shooting without a rest. Good Luck

one of us
posted Hide Post
I find that most rifles can shoot well under 12 in at 200 yards. The most effective range as why less to do with the rife then the person who is doing the shooting I have hunted with people who shouldn't shoot over 50 yards let alone 500 then I have hunted with people who wouldn't have a hard time killing at distances most of you think are out of bounds. So it more depends on the shooter then the rifle. But a highly acurrate rifle in needed if you are going to be wacking them out past 500.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I give up.

[ 01-01-2003, 05:43: Message edited by: Nebraska ]

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
While still living in Nebraska, my longest shot was from a Rem700 25-06. Using my
own reloads, a 100gr Hornady SP downed a muley at 400 yards. One shot. But then,
this Rem700 was made in the early '70's when Remington still had a quality control
department and after I had been busting p-dogs out to that distance all summer!

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote