New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 X 55 Kimber???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Saw a 6.5 X 55 Mauser action in a local shop yesterday. I love that caliber and I am looking for a lighter rifle to hunt with. I know absolutely nothing about these guns. The barrle said imported by Kimber but there was a Swedish name on the top of the barrel/receiver. It had some use but like I say I love the caliber and I don't have a .26 in anything. I was also curious about how the safety would be accessible with a scope mounted. Any info will be helpful. Thank you

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not know about that one but I have a Tikka T-3 Lite in 6.5X55 and it is light, handy and a tack driver.
The Kimber is just a mil rifle sporterized by Kimber. My friend has one and after comparing his and mine I like mine better. He does also.

Posts: 161 | Location: Denair Ca USA | Registered: 21 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it has a Husqvarna/Carl Gustav m96 action is can bee converted with a qvarter safty what allows a scope.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
If the price is right then go for it. The 96/38's are usually great shooters. There is nothing wrong with the 6.5 Swede round. You can get low swing safetys to put on it so you can mount a scope down low or use a Boyds or Timney trigger with a side mounted safety. I had one of the Kimber conversions and it was good quality. It would be kind of hard to screw up the conversion jobs they did though.

Steve............

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1839 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Looking for a lighter carry whitetail rifle. I love the 6.5 X 55 round.

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
after kimber went down the tube in oregon and latter rejuvenated these were the first products they brought out in rifle form. done for capital they are never the less good values

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The "Kimber" 6.5x55 rifles are sporterized Swede military rifles.

They are functional and effective.

They make a good hunting tool.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a friend with one. It is a good rifle.
I have a Tikka T-3 Lite in 6.5X55. I like it better.
The 6.5X55 round is a great round. I also have a newly barreled Ruger in 264Win mag that is really a shooter.

Posts: 161 | Location: Denair Ca USA | Registered: 21 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one with a flat nickel finish done by Kimber. They have the original military barrels, which are great by the way, but Kimber turned them so they no are no longer stepped. Kimber also installed Timney-Buehler safeties for scope clearance.

Personally, I hate that safety. I have a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 on it and the safety and bolt both clear it, barely. But unless you have a long thumb nail you will be wrestling with the safety for a while before getting a grip on it. Forget about operating it with gloves on.

It also came mounted in a Ramline stock that I'm not too wild about so I now have a relatively nice walnut stock that I am going to take up to Ed Lapour in Bremerton, WA and have him inlet, bed, checker and finish. The main reason though for taking the rifle to him is for him to install one of his m70 style safeties. He is the only one I know of that makes one for the Mauser 96.

It also changes it from cock-on-close to cock-on-open. That is not something I specifically desired but I don't have a problem with it either.

Mine has the original military trigger. I actually like it but it could easily be changed for those who don't.

The cost of doing this will likely exceed the value when done but it's worth it to me. Besides being a really great rifle in an equally great caliber, it appeals to me as a Swede to hunt with a Swedish rifle in a Swedish caliber.

It coming to Africa next time for the smaller plainsgame...

Posts: 181 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 20 February 2012Reply With Quote