New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brass Shavings
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was cleaning my son's Win Mod70 Featherweight 6.5x55 the other day and found something interesting. I pulled the bolt and around the lug area in the chamber was a pile of brass shavings. Nice perfect little half moons. About a dozen or so. I can only guess that the bolt is shaving brass off the case rim??
I am using Lapua brass and it is on it's 5th firing. I have not noticed this before. My primer pockets are still tight and I do not think the previous loading were hot.
Any ideas?

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the problems with the 6.5x55 is that it has a .480" rim dia.As I understand , the American companies are making ammo and chambers with a .473" rim so it's easier to make [cocnsistant with typical .473" cases like the 308 ] .Perhaps that's the problem .

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think mete may have identified your source of brass shavings. Just keep it cleaned and don't worry about it.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve4102:
... I pulled the bolt and around the lug area in the chamber was a pile of brass shavings. Nice perfect little half moons. About a dozen or so. I can only guess that the bolt is shaving brass off the case rim??..
Hey Steve, If you held them up to a Case, would their "potential" diameter indicate they are about the same as the outside of the Casehead?

Or, if it is a Push Feed, are the "half moon" diameters about the same size as the hole for the Ejector?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Hey Steve, If you held them up to a Case, would their "potential" diameter indicate they are about the same as the outside of the Casehead?

Or, if it is a Push Feed, are the "half moon" diameters about the same size as the hole for the Ejector?

They are about the dia. of the case head.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Steve, It sure sounds like the other guys nailed it from the get-go. Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My m70 classic featherweight swede also gets some shavings. No halfmoon giant things. Just a little bit of brass particles. Not much

I get a scuff mark on one side of the brass starting below the shoulder. Not much just a little rub.

I had traced it to maybe the chamber edge is scuffing the brass as the round is entering the chamber.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester did not bother to round the edges of their chambers so there is some scraping going on when a round is chambered.
Is the 6.5X55 bolt CRF or the push feed type?

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote