Find
Notify
Tools

Suitable action
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
This is obviously an old question, but is a .222/.223 action suitable for conversion to 6.5x39. I have a Tikka 55 in .223 that I was thinking of converting....Now before everyone tells me to go and buy this gun or that, I,m not interested in buying something else, I want to use what I have. If this won't work, what action will ??

Roger

Posts: 1043 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your cartridge length should be alright assuming you don't use the really long 140 or 160 grain 6.5's.
You would of course have to modify the boltface to accept the .445" casehead of the x39 cartridge.
As for whether your Tikka would feed the fatter, more tapered x39 I do not know.

Posts: 160 | Location: NE MN | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
.... I would only be using 100's to 120's at the most

Roger

Posts: 1043 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your not apposed to a single shot the bullet selection is not an issue. Your only limited by the throat of your rifle.

Captain Finlander

Posts: 480 | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yumastepside:
This is obviously an old question, but is a .222/.223 action suitable for conversion to 6.5x39. I have a Tikka 55 in .223 that I was thinking of converting....Now before everyone tells me to go and buy this gun or that, I,m not interested in buying something else, I want to use what I have. If this won't work, what action will ??

Roger

If the 6.5x39 cartridge case has the same head diameter as the 223, no problem. I guess the bolt face can be opened up if need be.
I just buy an action with bolt face identical to the cartridges case of the rifle I am having built. A gunsmith can advise you on the suitability of the action you have with respect to building a 6.5x39 rifle.

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
It often surprises me how often concerns are raised about not using a certain action because the bolt face is smaller than the intended new cartridge size. It is the simplist operation to open a bolt face and should not need to come into the equation.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Von Gruff:
It often surprises me how often concerns are raised about not using a certain action because the bolt face is smaller than the intended new cartridge size. It is the simplist operation to open a bolt face and should not need to come into the equation.

Von Gruff.

Whether it's an easy operation or not the fact that the boltface will need to be modified needs to be in the equation.
Both respondents who mentioned the boltface merely stated that it would need to be changed. It does.

Posts: 160 | Location: NE MN | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am building a 6.5 grendel (6.5 x39 improved)on a ruger m77 mk2 7.62x39 action with a pac nor 1-9 twist stainless barrel

no action or magazine mods required just re-barreling

Posts: 4 | Location: briabane australia. | Registered: 13 August 2010Reply With Quote